Brake Light Switch 1999 Tahoe 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TyCoon

Reaction score
The brake lights stopped functioning on my '99 Tahoe. After some internet searching, I found that the brake light switch often fails on this model. I bought a new one from AutoZone for $12.99. The "brake light switch retainer" was $3.99. I haven't got the retainer yet, but I want to talk about the hard part here: how to get the old retainer off. I found that the overly-complicated retainer is a Dorman-Stop product. I couldn't tell how to remove it, though I lay on my back and stare at sitting it beyond the steering column for far too long.

First of all, the switch is located near the pivot of the brake pedal. The switch is secured at its pivot point and clips onto the push rod going into the master cylinder. It isn't big, but there is a clear path to see the Dorman retainer that holds the brake light switch onto its pivot shaft. There is an electrical connector plugged into the top of the switch with six wires as the brake light switch indicates to multiple systems that the brake is pressed (cruise control, transmission). Before anything, check to make sure that this connector is still plugged in all the way by squeezing it down.

If your brakes are still not working, it is time to remove the brake switch. This is annoying and I have deep cuts on both of my hands to prove my frustration. As I said, I looked over the retainer for some time, but I could not see how to remove in in any logical manner. I assumed (and still do) that there was some special $500 tool to remove it. I decided that the only way I was going to get this out with my budget and masculine pride was to tear the thing off, brute-force-style. Long story short, this is not necessary and I feel foolish for missing the answer to begin with. I'll try to post pictures, but let me just explain for now. The retainer is a small cylinder with a large flange at one end. It is made of several brazed components that will close the cylinder against the pivot shaft and thus be stopped by the collar at the end of the shaft. If you spin the retainer and shine a light carefully, you will see that the retainer cylinder is split and has a circular opening in the middle of the split. All that you need to do is insert an awl or some pick tool into this hole and spread the cylinder of the retainer out and over the collar at the end of the shaft. This is easier said than done, but it is much less difficult than trying to destroy the retainer.

Gabriel

Reaction score
tahoe break switch help

Thank you for the writeup, very informative. I was wondering if you help me find the box the cables coming out of break switch itself actually plug into. I kinda accidentally tore it out when I was removing the switch from the pin you slide it off of. More specifically the switch and it's cords came down out together. The wires themselves broke off somewhere above the steering column....... I know this is a dead thread but I sure could use some knowledge from a more experienced eye. Thank you and cheers