Brake Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshoaksyukon

Reaction score
My brake lights had been working fine until last week when my grandson and I decided to remove an after-market long hotwire that a previous owner (thug I think) had used to hook him up a super-duper sound system. The wire was not connected to anything but I'm wondering if while removing it (it was drilled through the firewall as well) we didn't snag another wire and pull something loose. I've checked fuses and bulbs and they are all good. The turn signals, tail lights and the third brake light all work. Only the brake lights don't works.

Don't the brake lights and the turn signals run off of the same wire (yellow left/green right). If that be the case then shouldn't I be getting power back there? If the third brake light works doesn't that also tell me the brake light switch on the pedal is working? I actually changed that out about two years ago anyway.

I'm stumped. I looked under the dash but there are so many darn wires I can't tell much of anything, but nothing obvious is there that I can see.

Help, please.

Ron

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what year yours is. mine is a 95 and I have read the brake light switch has 2 relays or whatever you want to call it. one controls the lights in the tail lights and the other controls the third light. my third brake light is stuck on and the brake lights in the tail lights work correctly. had to research how the hell that could be possible lol. I just unplugged the connector at the upper brake light for now until I get a chance to fix it. definately check under the dash for the possibility of something being bumped out of place when you pulled the power wire out first.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHSML and Rear Lights are on same electrical path assuming turn signals are in neutral position.

If CHSML works and rear lights dont suspect turn signal switch back, wiring, sockets, lights, grounds.....