Brake pedal hard before starting after sitting more than 24 hours

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpa12

Reaction score
2017 Tahoe Primier, 53,000 miles

Thought I would post this to see if anyone else has encountered it. I have noticed recently that my Tahoe is acting differently than it has in the first 3 years. I travel frequently so my Tahoe sits often for days at a time. In the last 6 to 8 months I have experienced a hard brake pedal before starting. Once the engine starts the brake pedal returns to its normal position and the brakes work normally. It appears to me that the brake assist residual preasure is bleeding off such that the brake pedal is falling to its lowest position. It’s important to note that it takes at least 24 hours for this to happen. If I return to the Tahoe in less than a day their is residual preasure and no hard pedal. As I pointed out, I used to be able to leave the car for days and not notice a hard pedal. In fact, I have owned three of these same model Tahoes and have never encountered a hard pedal. I had the dealership troubleshoot the issue and they say there is no issue. Although they did not actually let the car sit for 24 hours before leak checking the master cylinder and brake assist system. It’s important to point out that while the engine is running the brake system seems completely normal and the DIC has not displayed any warnings. No fault codes have been recorded either.

About 8 months ago I had the dealership comply with the service bulliten that related to the brake system. (N192268490 Electronic Brake Control module Reprogramming) I am not certain if the issue began before or after the reprogramming, but have wondered if it may have changed how long it takes for the residual brake preassure to dissipate.

I have asked the dealership to ask Chevrolet if what I am experiencing is normal? I am currently waiting for a response. I wanted to post this to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar scenario?

Thanks in advance.