Break in questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kinda break in does this thing need. has 240 miles on it, i think in need to go to 500 miles.

i know the basic, no full throttle starts, towing etc.

but are there any speed restrictions?? i plan on changeing the oil at 500 then at 3000 i will go to mobile one fully synthetic. then change every 4k miles.

but what else should i do during the break in period. any specail tricks to make sure nothing bad happens.

also im getting comflicting information from different dealers. some say drive it like its a rental or like you stole it, others say baby it and dont go over 55 MPH. :wow: here on the interstate i would get flipped off so much peoples fingers would fall off.

Challenger:Denali

Reaction score
you can go over 55 !!! just vary the speeds dont keep it at one speed and wheres the pics and try to drive smoothly not jerky like smooth stop smooth go ya Digg?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can go over 55 !!! just vary the speeds dont keep it at one speed and wheres the pics and try to drive smoothly not jerky like smooth stop smooth go ya Digg?

lol, i have not bought it yet, im just trying to prepare for it, may be a soon as tommarrow, or as late as saturday. but will have a new one very, very, soon.

varying speeds, ok, so i need to treat this like my boat then, just got a new engine and lower unit put on, cant stay at one speed, cant go full throttle, and i need to vary the RPMS. hmm, so anything i drive will need to be treated extra special.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the onwers manual will tell you to not go over 50 mph for the first 500 miles. Of course, no full throttle and vary the RPMs. Take a look at state roads and alternative routes until you have it broken in at 500 miles (even Click and Clack of "Car Talk" say this is important). Now, a question...why are you going to use symthetic if you will change it every 4k? Why not extend it out to when the DIC says change or 8 or even 10K? That's the good part about symthetic, it is so slick and protects so well that it will last much, much longer that dino juice.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the onwers manual will tell you to not go over 50 mph for the first 500 miles. Of course, no full throttle and vary the RPMs. Take a look at state roads and alternative routes until you have it broken in at 500 miles (even Click and Clack of "Car Talk" say this is important). Now, a question...why are you going to use symthetic if you will change it every 4k? Why not extend it out to when the DIC says change or 8 or even 10K? That's the good part about symthetic, it is so slick and protects so well that it will last much, much longer that dino juice.

why, because i like too. i never ever go buy the DIC, it cant take in to account how dirty the oil is or if there is metal particals in it. so inted of Dino fuel every 3k, i will go every 4k with mobile one, i tow alot so i feel its important.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand. Do you use an oil filter magnet? (hope your Dad is doing fine)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand. Do you use an oil filter magnet? (hope your Dad is doing fine)

not on the 06, but on the new one i most definatly will.

i tow my boat which is close to 5000k pounds, plus gear, bait, 6 people, sometimes in hills, im a little worried about not haveing 4x4 to get up a ramp, but in the 06 i only used it once and that was when the ramp was icy and i was takeing the boat out for the winter. i will just take it out before our freeze this year.

i put mobile 1 in the yukon and changed it every 4k, engine purs like a kitten, and the new tranny with synthetic fluids works great too. :yesnod:

btw , dad is doing better, im home to just take a break, let my dogs out, get a bite to eat then i head back. but they started sugury and said i had 3 hours. hospitals creep me out so im happy to be home for a while.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you gotta break it in right

1. WOT at all times

2. pull a heavy ass trailer and set the cruise control at 85

Just kidding, if your hoe already has 200+ miles you know they weren't easy miles espcially if those miles were all test drive miles. just drive "normal" for the next few hundred miles.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you gotta break it in right

1. WOT at all times

2. pull a heavy ass trailer and set the cruise control at 85

Just kidding, if your hoe already has 200+ miles you know they weren't easy miles espcially if those miles were all test drive miles. just drive "normal" for the next few hundred miles.

my normal, or with your drivers ed teacher with you .:D