broken hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unhinged

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Suburban with 75k miles. About 1 week ago, the rear window began making a whistling noise while driving. When I inspected it, I found that the hinge had separated from the window. I have probably opened that window 20 times since I purchased the vehicle new in 2003. I phoned the dealer that I purchased it from, they were completely aware of the problem, as they had seen it before, but said I should come it. Their answer was "it can't be fixed, but rather a new rear window should be installed to the tune of $1,000. I contacted GM Customer Service who claimed they had never heard of this problem before, but also stated that the only solution would be to replace the entire rear window.

The vehicle has only been used for pleasure use, never towed a vehicle.

If you have had this happen to you or someone you know google: suburban rear window hinge

[email protected]

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened on my 02 I talk to one guy that said that he had it glued back on at a body shop. I just replaced it and it was about 600 bucks.

unhinged

Reaction score
unhinged

Thank you for your reply.

In the event I can not find a way to have the hinge re-attached to the glass, I obtained a quote from safelite, to replace glass: glass, labor and tax, $585.00, about $500. less than prior estimates.

signed,

unhinged

tug130

Reaction score
03 Tahoe lift gate glass hinge

Just noticed this the other day. Hinge separated from glass and should cost about 500.

Attachments

• DSCN0260.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0258.jpg
    DSCN0258.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7

tac53lpd

Reaction score
My wifes aunt told me this just happened to her 05 Yukon XL. It's got me scared. I have an 05 Yukon. I almost never use the rar window but I guess that rally doesn't seem to matter.

tug130

Reaction score
Problems on the Tahoe

Yeah I love my Tahoe and I think that as long as the truck does not fall apart around me I think the engine will last 8 more years. These are some of the things that have broke with in the last two years: Speedometer stopped working (Part for this cost's 14 bucks on ebay for the stepper motor) Replaced driver's side power window assembly Right rear speaker replaced and now the back window. This seems to be a case of poor product development with it separating between the glass and medal. But I still love it!