Can I get the dealer to a lower price or is this the Bottom??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w84no1

Reaction score
I have a quote from my local dealer and I was wonder if I can get a lower price. The price is a little over my budget. But I would like to get a new Tahoe. I just bought my used Tahoe a few months ago, but at this price it is close to what I paid for mine:cuss:. Here is the quote

Thank you again for your inquiry on a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. I am sending you this quotation based on Stk# 191494 on the Tahoe you are searching for.

This Graystone Metallic Tahoe comes complete with Automatic Transmission. 5.3L V8 Engine, Titanium Leather Interior, AM/FM/XM Stereo System with CD/MP3 Player, 20" Chrome Wheels and a Sun Roof. Sun, Entertainment package, Navigation, Rear View Camera.

The MSRP for this Tahoe is $55,165. Your Employee price is $42,824.60 ( plus all taxes, title and tag fees ). All incentives to Dealer. This is lower than the GM Supplier Price. And please let me know when you want to bring in your trade so I can get the most money for it and you can test drive the Tahoe you have chosen.

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the employee price of 42,824 does not include the cash rebates or 0%, then that looks to be pretty good! Actually - now that I think about that, that must include the current cash rebates. That looks in line with what I was getting a month ago with actual employee pricing.

w84no1

Reaction score
I was just wondering since the SUV market is in the crapper if I should try to get it for less. I guess it doesn't hurt to go and try.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find out what the invoice is, go to Edmunds.com and price out the options. Ignore the part that says what other people are paying, that is probably there to make dealers happy. Find the true invoice, plus the $900 Destination Charge. In today's market on these, and with 09s coming in, you should get it for anywhere from $500 to $1000 below that easy. That does not include whatever rebates you can get, so make sure you are able to deduct that too. Usually making the deal this way is better than employee pricing, but 11-12 thousand off MSRP is decent, and what I assumed you'd get anyway. That's when cash back was 4K, if it's 6K now then you'd expect about 13-14K off. Decide your offer and fax it too as many dealerships in your area as possible. You can get all their contact info from the Chevy site. A couple of the smaller ones will bite.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost $43K is a "steal"!
I went to check out an '08 Tahoe LTZ and the salesman told me a little over $52K...:(

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
42K for an LTZ isn't too bad, I base that on the fact we paid 40K for an LT2 back in 06 when the new body style just hit the streets. I wish we would have waited until now as there are great deals out there.

Agreed brother, 51 large for my Yukon SLT in '06 as well :umn:

You need to find out what the invoice is, go to Edmunds.com and price out the options. Ignore the part that says what other people are paying, that is probably there to make dealers happy. Find the true invoice, plus the $900 Destination Charge. In today's market on these, and with 09s coming in, you should get it for anywhere from $500 to $1000 below that easy. That does not include whatever rebates you can get, so make sure you are able to deduct that too. Usually making the deal this way is better than employee pricing, but 11-12 thousand off MSRP is decent, and what I assumed you'd get anyway. That's when cash back was 4K, if it's 6K now then you'd expect about 13-14K off. Decide your offer and fax it too as many dealerships in your area as possible. You can get all their contact info from the Chevy site. A couple of the smaller ones will bite.

Where do you live? next time I go get a car, I am coming to your neck of the woods or bringin you to mine.....Sorry to troll a bit, but I agree with BlackDog, they need to get rid of these things for the new model year and it has been tough selling SUV's. I think 42k is a good price but I am sure you can walk away with something even better. Happy car buying, wish I were you.

w84no1

Reaction score
Well, I went to the dealership & they only wanted to give me $23000 for my Tahoe :(. Looked at KBB and it said the same thing. Man the market for SUVs has tanked.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed brother, 51 large for my Yukon SLT in '06 as well :umn:

Where do you live? next time I go get a car, I am coming to your neck of the woods or bringin you to mine.....Sorry to troll a bit, but I agree with BlackDog, they need to get rid of these things for the new model year and it has been tough selling SUV's. I think 42k is a good price but I am sure you can walk away with something even better. Happy car buying, wish I were you.

I'm in Los Angeles, and I think people pay a lot here and buy lots of SUVs. But this is how I've learned to do it, I faxed damn near 50 dealerships in one day. It worked, and that was in late February I think, when 08s were still the pick and gas was still only rising. I'd help you or anyone else out anytime.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to the dealership & they only wanted to give me $23000 for my Tahoe :(. Looked at KBB and it said the same thing. Man the market for SUVs has tanked.

Yeah, it works both ways; the only way to maximize the advantage is to get your rig cleaned up right and sell it privately- and if you want what you're asking be prepared to advertise wide and wait patiently if necessary. You'll always lose more trading in, the dealer makes money on both cars when they sell your old one for about what you could have gotten for it.

w84no1

Reaction score
I am prefectly happy with my 07 Tahoe. It will only cost me about $6000 to add the features that I want. Rather than paying $49000 for anew one. The most expensive part is the Chevy 20" chrome rims. I could go aftermarket, but I like the oem rims. My next purchase is going to be the chrome door handles.

Guess1

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my wife and I just picked up an '08 Tahoe LTZ on Thursday. Sticker was right at 51k, and we got it with the employee discount + the 5k rebate for a final price of $38,700+/-......very happy with the purchase!:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jeff

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am prefectly happy with my 07 Tahoe. It will only cost me about $6000 to add the features that I want. Rather than paying $49000 for anew one. The most expensive part is the Chevy 20" chrome rims. I could go aftermarket, but I like the oem rims. My next purchase is going to be the chrome door handles.

Well I didn't realize by the whole point of this thread that you were perfectly happy with your 07. It's not like I was trying to talk you into buying, it was your idea, and I was trying to help you do it right. Did you become content when you realized how much you'd get for it?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my wife and I just picked up an '08 Tahoe LTZ on Thursday. Sticker was right at 51k, and we got it with the employee discount + the 5k rebate for a final price of $38,700+/-......very happy with the purchase!:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jeff

Now that is a good deal.

w84no1

Reaction score
Well I didn't realize by the whole point of this thread that you were perfectly happy with your 07. It's not like I was trying to talk you into buying, it was your idea, and I was trying to help you do it right. Did you become content when you realized how much you'd get for it?

Yeah, once I found out that my Tahoe dropped $12000 in value in 4 months that made me decide to keep what I got :) and I thought the housing market was bad:crazy:

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, I guess I will have to wait until this one is paid for before I try to get a new one.

CasualButJiggy

Reaction score

Cheers,

Jeff

That's a nice deal.

We just bought one tonight for my wife at about the same savings.

MSRP $53465
Paid $41000........$12465 off the sticker and got a $500 Lowe's gift card.

BigR

Reaction score
I am also looking at purchasing a 4x4 Tahoe with the Employee Discount and the $5k rebates. Any feedback on the Hybrid Tahoe’s to date? I have some concerns with the 3.08 axle ratio and not being able to jump start the Hybrid as I would be using the vehicle for outdoor recreational activities. Resale value with the batteries is also a concern.

Any feedback would be appreciated.