Can You Paint The Chrome Trim On The Grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VEGASTAHO8

Reaction score
I bought 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper, I am wondering if i can paint the chrome trim around the grill and will the paint stick or is there something else I would need to do to remove the chrome. My plan was to use the sandpaper then prime, then paint, then clear coat...will that be ok?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your on the right track.....you will want to sand as much of that chrome off as possible and then primer it. You are going to want paint that is specific for plastic such as Krylon Fusion (for plastic). You can find it everywhere. Just have to find a good color match.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trim is at the paint shop right now. Alittle to large of a piece to paint it by can and have it look really good. It is possible though.

Should have mine back today:)

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine...sanded it down a little and shot it with some chip resistant ultra flat black...going on 2-3 months now and it looks fine...if I get a chip I can just touch it up with a quick spray..the benefits of flat black.

2361844_57_full.jpg

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to get all the chrome off, just scuff it up really good. I did my whole chrome denali grille on top and bottom. It was a pain to sand cause all the punch holes, but worth it. Make sure after you sand use etching primer. It actually etches itself into the plastic to hold better. After that I just sprayed a couple coats of black and then cleared it. Had it since February and it's holding up fine.

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine, I just had a paint shop do a pro paint job. The guy said he would fix any chips a million times if he had too.

Attachments

• DSC01315.JPG
    DSC01315.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01314.JPG
    DSC01314.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 28

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I did mine...sanded it down a little and shot it with some chip resistant ultra flat black...going on 2-3 months now and it looks fine...if I get a chip I can just touch it up with a quick spray..the benefits of flat black.

2361844_57_full.jpg

Wow that looks so dam cool! It almost looks like a military vehicle, just dam cool!

KarenCaren

Reaction score

2361844_57_full.jpg

This is a cool paint job. Some advantage of a flat black to others. You can just touch it up if they got a chip.