Can't fill the Tahoe! NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakejoseph14

Reaction score
Good Evening,
This is my first time posting to the forums so please bare with me,

I have a question regarding my 2005 Tahoe LT 5.3L that cannot be filled with fuel for more than .3 of a gallon before clicking regardless of station or nozzle position but a gurgling noise can be heard. I also have NO Ckeck engine light. So I cannot pull codes.
Thank you for all your time and expertise

Exgie

Reaction score
The light doesn't come on for all codes.

Some codes have to happen several times before throwing a light, but there will be a "soft" code still stored in the computer.

Some codes will never throw a check engine light.

However it sounds like some sort of blockage though, which may not have a code. If it does it is probably EVAP Emissions. Nevertheless, codes never tell you what the root issue is. It is just a tool to help you figure it out.

Jakejoseph14

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. What would you suggest that I do to begin diagnosing the issue to find the root of the problem?

Thank you very much

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although you are not getting codes it is probably a bad vent valve solenoid had the same problem you can google dtc p0449....

Exgie

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. What would you suggest that I do to begin diagnosing the issue to find the root of the problem?

Thank you very much

Scan the vehicle for soft codes.

Yeah, a vent valve might not set a check engine light but should have a soft code if that is the problem.

You could always stick a bore scope down there and take a look, or at least try to get a look at the out side for any obvious damage.

That is a few places to start any way.

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vent valve

if you google that dtc 0449 there is a procedure how to fix that problem it will tell you which parts to replace and everything you need don't wait until it's 5 degrees outside and you have to stand outside to pump the gas....

Exgie

Reaction score
if you google that dtc 0449 there is a procedure how to fix that problem it will tell you which parts to replace and everything you need don't wait until it's 5 degrees outside and you have to stand outside to pump the gas....

We don't know that is the problem for use. It could but we don't know that to be fact yet.

Jakejoseph14

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice and replies. I did find a soft code for a gross leak and I just today replaced part ACDELCO Part # 2142149 the vent solenoid then immediately went to the station to refill with no such luck the truck still clicked. What I am wondering is if I jumped the gun too quickly and tried to refill the vehicle too soon after replacing the part.

Thanks again folks

Jakejoseph14

Reaction score
Or should I remove the vent solenoid and blow some pressurized air into the hose line? I just don't know if that would damage any components any input?

Thank you again