Changed front hubs still have noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a grinding noise from the driverside front of my 03 Tahoe Z71. I decided to change both front hubs along with the pads and rotors. Everything went back together fine but the front driverside continued to make a noise. I removed the dust shield and reinstalled to see if it was rubbing on the shield but the noise remained. I then exchanged that hub for another new one. After reinstalling it too is making a noise. The noise is a relatively high pitched metal and metal sound. It does not make the noise while driving dead straight or with the wheel slightly to the left, but as soon as the wheel moves past center to the right it comes on.

I don't know if this is relevant but...when I did the install I noticed that there is a piece on the axle-shaft that is bent a bit. I don't know what it is called, but its the piece by the CV joint that sits in the back of the hub. There is a lip that looks like it is supposed to seal up against the back of the hub but the lip is slightly bent. Could this be the cause of the sound?

silky

Reaction score
May be the bent part could be a dust shield. Look for any shiny metal pieces close to where things spin.

It will be tough because I can't really get to that piece without taking things apart.

It does look like it keeps dust out. I tried to find a picture of it online but they are not high enough quality to see it. It is a sort of rim on the part of the axle that goes into the hub. It looks like it is supposed to press into the backside of the hub.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, when you drive and turn slightly right you load the left front. So concentrate at the left front hub area. Likely have to disassembly again and clean as you go and look for shiny metal rub mark. Something is spinning and rubbing.

flow11234

Reaction score
please help

Im having the same issue with my 2005 please tell me if you solved the problem