Check 4WD light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarlSpackler

Reaction score
2004 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 160k miles
I had been searching for a solution for quite some time and figured I would share my findings.
Here were the problems
Continually alerted to chech 4wd
(Typically when it's cold and needed the most)
2wd 4wd hi and 4wd lo Auto buttons on/off or not working at all or stuck in N
Instrument cluster never displayed PRND12
Full instrument cluster randomly completely shuts down
Temporary fixes
For the 4wd I took it to the dealer and it would work for a couple months
If the 4wd was acting up I could sometimes restart the Tahoe and that would fix
If a restart didn't fix I could disconnect the battery to reset
For the cluster a gentle knock would usually kickstart the electrical
I did watch the video and found the faulty capacitor and attempted to solder
This is what I really wanted to share. I finally went an bought a new/refurbished instrument cluster cost $180 with a $300+ core charge (originally replaced years ago as a recall btw). Once I did that, ALL issues have been resolved. It has been over a month in the dead of winter and I have not seen the check 4wd once. 4wd buttons are working as they should. I just didn't expect replacing the instrument cluster to fix the 4wd problems and wanted to share that with others.

I love my Tahoe and it has been a great and reliable car for over 10 years. It's about that time and I plan to buy a newer Tahoe to replace this one.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, rocken, it is obvious it is the cluster causing all his problems. Can't believe you didn't see it. I read it once and had it figured out about half way thru the story. Grounds were the problem and the 4wd buttons get their ground thru the cluster.

The first part of this paragraph is just me giving ElGuapo some $hit. He knows way more than most on here. But I gotta dig him every now and then. The last part is just my best guess about "why" the problem was related to the cluster. ElGuapo knows I will guess sometimes just to "appear" like I know of what I speak.

Good morning ElGuapo! You $hit stirrer you. Sorry I just stirred a bit.

:peace:

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Raiderron, I think you have me confused with someone else, especially you saying that I know something about fixing vehicles, even more so saying I know more then most, I think you have the wrong guy here, and a Great Morning to you too my partner in stirring sh!t up..

Attachments

• 961392_1553320118244039_1839931062_n.jpg
    961392_1553320118244039_1839931062_n.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2