Check Engine Light flashing and rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderduckie

Reaction score
New guy here so please be gentle. I tried to search the previous threads but couldn't find anything that matched my issue.

My brother bought an '08 Tahoe Hybrid with 130k on it. He's had a few small issues like a TPS fail and also a bad oil pressure sensor but other than that it's been a very solid vehicle (he just bought it 45 days ago from a dealer so I guess that isn't a lot of time to shake the whole car down).
I drive a 3/4 truck that gets 12 MPG and needed to make an 800 mile trip out of town so we traded vehicles. Everything was going perfect until I was about 70 miles from home. The car started to act like it had a misfire but it was VERY minor. It would come and go about every 10 miles or so and didn't seem to be effecting anything major so after I called him we decided to finish the trip and investigate things in the morning.
5 miles from home the check engine light began to flash repeatedly and suddenly the engine became very rough. When I pulled into our neighborhood (he lives 4 houses down from me) the car went in to electric mode at a stop sign. When the motor fired up if began to shake VERY violently and sounded like it was coming apart. I parked the car and we pushed it the rest of the way.
Can anyone tell me what can cause this issue? I have been on Google all night and so far they say everything from a misfire to a bad lower intake gasket to a plugged convertor. We're going to have the car towed tomorrow to the dealer to get something concrete but in the mean time I'm sitting here riddled with guilt that I may have caused serious damage to my brother's car. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

leilagardner

Reaction score
Any word on the solution?

Hi, the same thing happened to my 2009 Hybrid Tahoe last night. What was the ultimate diagnosis and repair?