clicking when dricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8432lifted

Reaction score
clicking when driving

my 99' tahoe 2door 4wd is clicking when im driving and the rpms go over 1500. any ideas on what could be causing this?

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
We need a little more information, is coming from under the truck? Front, back, right left? Is it steady or intermittent, does it ALWAYS do it? Is there anything that makes it worse/better?

8432lifted

Reaction score
it isnt really a "clicking" it sounds more like the drive shaft is loose or struggling. I put it up on a lift and nothing is loose but the shaft is at about a 30 degree andgle and its suppused to be at a 15 so that might be it. Are there different rear transfer cases that could fix this?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U Joints, I had some noise from mine, they were tight, nicer now...

clkelley

Reaction score
I bet that angle has a lot to do with it, it may be throwing the geometry off for the drive shaft. But you may start with the ujoints just to see if that helps before going into fabbing something for the diffs, you may wind up fabricating new angled mounts for everything on the differentials to match the angles right...

8432lifted

Reaction score
going to replace the U joints this weekend hopefully thats it and not something more serious. whats a good brand to use for a mix of off road and street driving?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time I get a set, I will get the lifetime lube ones, the diff input ujoint was a PITA to grease......

Easy enough to change out tho.....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a set of Duralast ones, hope I get a year out of them..... I dont know too many brands of Ujoints, so IDK? Anyone else got any Ideas on U Joint brands?

8432lifted

Reaction score
U Joints

i got some Neapco heavy duty ones from Pep Boys they have the grease fitting but there more suited for the punishment ill be putting them through this summer out at the cliffs in IL. i heard Spicer has some good off road ones too but i cant find anyone near me that sells them.

8432lifted

Reaction score
switched my U joints out and the noise is still there when im driving. i thing its something with the engine struggling to push the truck and the tires so i might have to look at each piece of it and see if theres anything worn or needs replacing.

8432lifted

Reaction score
new u joints

replaced the joints. the noise is still there. it sounds like its coming from the engine. could it be the Timing chain? its only making the noise on acceleration so i dont know if that could be it.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a small exhaust leak at the manifold, either one of the runners or the gasket IMHO......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be totally silent at idle and when you get on it and start to heat the manifold up good it could distort and leak untill you let off and it closes up..... I have had several vehicles that way, heard a car today with that sound...... Can you reproduce in park? If so, have a buddy help and with a piece of small 1/2" pipe or something of the like a couple foot long use it to "extend" your ear near the exhaust ports....