Clunk in rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRGREG5000

Reaction score
Hey everyone im a newbie here..i have a black 99 tahoe ls.....red interior....373 gears...tow package....hi flow thunderbolt cats....etc....when i come to a stop..i hear a clunk...like some one tapped my in the back...when i leave a from a complete stop i hear it and feel it again....some one told me to grease my spline gear, but there is no grease nipple for it....any one else have this problem.....

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to remove the drive shaft to do it. I had the same problem with my old truck. You could get better results if you post in the correct section though. This is for 2007 + trucks. People with the same year as you could help you better

tree'sbeastie

Reaction score
dont know if you still having the problem? i have the same issue and took it to a ring and pinion shop. i found out that they call it the GM clunk..lol. all gm trucks/suvs will do it at one time. the little poly bushing between the leaf springs wear out and cause the springs to bind or stick due to the surface rust. they suggested to lift up the rear and lower down axle onto stands allowing the springs to separate and use wheel bearing grease between them apply with a putty knife. i found marine quality at home depot to use so it will last longer. just have to do this every oil change or so and it will stop. if you wish not to do the only other options are replace the leafs or the little spacers(if yo can find them). hope this helped

Bill Salvaggio

Reaction score
98 Tahoe 2wd here: rebuilt tranny with shift kit, torque converter good, rebuilt Auburn posi-trac diff, rear axles replaced, u-joints replaced, drive shaft balanced, new pads/rotors/shoes/drums all around, complete front end redone/ball joints, etc; shocks/springs all good, and the clunk persists. The more I read, the more I realize it's accepted as normal. Apparently even dealers are recommending 'anti clunk' grease with an actual part no. And the problem returns even with that. -Bill S.

86mk7

Reaction score
Mines been doing it since we got it. They lIe a anti were yoke for the drive shaft thY is suppose to help. Look in the glove box for a g80 code I think it is. That rear end is notorious for noise. It's a gov lock Liau that does it. I'm looking to rebuild mine with a tru trac or something similar.

Bill Salvaggio

Reaction score
Problem has baffled my mechanic - and suspension people - and the tranny/drive train shop and everyone I've talked to. I even had my drive shaft removed and balanced and put back in. There's still a clunk coming to an abrupt stop, and clunk taking off again. I'm going to have to live with it I guess. I read the post about "the little poly bushing between the leaf springs wear out and cause the springs to bind or stick due to the surface rust" and I think I might persue that next...
-Bill S.

86mk7

Reaction score
Did you change out your carrier. If not then that's probably the problem.

dz2a8r

Reaction score
grease the splines in the slip yoke, but before reinstalling the drive shaft cut a piece of one inch hose down to about one inch in length and put that inside the slip yoke, this will usually take care of it if its the slip yoke, sometime just greasing it isnt enough, the hose seems to do the trick

sphillips

Reaction score
Old thread, but great info. Had the clunk, thought the rear end was going out. Pulled the driveshaft and lubed the crap out of it, clunk all gone!

Love this forum