Codes p0430, p0304 and p0101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhoneMan

Reaction score
Hi All!

Been lurking around the forum for a few days trying to nail down some information on codes my '99 Hoe is throwing.

First, a little background. It's a '99 Tahoe, 5.7 Vortec engine with just under 129,000 miles on it. It's been throwing the p0430 (catalyst system effciency below threshold) code for some time and I think I know what is causing that, but any suggestions welcomed.

Over this past weekend (Jan. 6-8) I replaced the fuel pump and now it's throwing these codes.

It's thrown the p0304 (cylinder 4 misfire) code before and I replaced the cam sensor and it went away, but it's back. It seems to trip if I am driving up a hill or when I get on the throttle to downshift or pass someone. Truck shakes like it's about to fall apart, I have no acceleration and the code comes up. I have replaced plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor. I've read in several places it could be the distributor gear and I do have that part, but I have no idea how to get the engine to TDC or BDC to change it out.

The p0101 (Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem) is a recent one. I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. I also replaced the air filter and it's still cropping up.

Also, it's been burning through gas like it's priced at $.50/gallon! 33 gallons twice a week at $3.50 starts to impact the wallet after awhile!

Now, my questions:

1. Could any of these codes be related to the new fuel pump?
2. Is there a way of getting the engine to TDC or BDC to change the distributor gear?
3. Are there any other possible causes for the misfire? I've even changed plug wires from one cylinder to another to see if the error would follow it and it didn't, still got the number 4 misfire.

Love the truck! The big guy's been with since he had 11 miles and we've been through hell and highwater, so I'd like to get him back healthy again.

If there are any tips, suggestions, advice, I'd surely appreciate them!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure, compare to spec.

Check fuel pressure bleed down, perhaps you have a blown FPR or a leaky injector....

You said plug wires and plugs were fine, double check that and propper sequence on that as well as the cap/ rotor.

Jdouc

Reaction score
I'm guessing by now you have figured it out. But if you have not, it is intake manifold gasket, the lower one. I had the EXACT same issue with my 99 vortec, had to replace the cat converter because it was clogged. My guess is you have gone through antifreeze and can't find a leak on the ground.

Mine stumbled and shook when towing heavy going uphill and on hard acceleration and it took forever to figure out the problem. I ended up sticking a valve and bending a pushrod while 200 miles from home going over the GW Bridge in NYC. I am still in the process of putting it back together after a month but I am in no hurry. Suggest you change the intake gaskets asap. Good luck.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the changing of the gaskets, if for nothing else than the peace of mind that the crappy stock gaskets wont leave you stranded like the last poster....

99-4wheelhoe

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have the same issues when I'm pulling a hill. I used to lose power but could hear the fuel pump so I replaced it. Still get codes when going up steep hills. Had a mysterious coolant leak I couldn't find... found out there was water in my oil....changed the lower intake manifold gasket...which had a few cracks in it and was leaking and failed a pressure test.

I have gotten misfire in #3 and sometimes #4, O2 bank 2 #2...(just replaced those after the cat code), cat code....

I have done a fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, new msd coil, and O2 sensors.

Just went up a big hill in California on the highway and for the #4 misfire which I have only seen once... awhile ago.

Any ideas? Throwing money at it is getting expensive.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a bad injector assembly, or possibly a bad drive gear for the distributor....

99-4wheelhoe

Reaction score
Yeah....kind of thinking maybe that spider fuel injection. Been reading about that being an issue...not sure if I'm on the right track....