Cold mornings, Tahoe wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdubb3

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently got a 2001 Tahoe 5.3l with 106xxx miles. Truck was well maintained by previous owner and garaged during winters. Well now that its in my possession it is not garaged and has a hard time starting in the mornings. It seems if its 18* or lower it will not start till it warms up to about 25* and higher OR after trying to get it started for 10 minutes....30 minutes later it starts. I have replaced the battery and I've been researching some but it seems the only cure for bad starting in cold weather is a block heater. It doesn't get that cold here in Colorado for a gas engine( or am I wrong). The lowest we've seen so far is single digits, but that hasn't happened for a month now.

I'm thinking of doing a tune up, mainly spark plugs and fuel filter and etc and then going from there. Also had the alternator and starter tested. They were good before I bought the new battery.

Also the rear view mirror says "Ice" on the LED display. Is that just a road condition warning due to the freezing temps or has something frozen on the truck lol?

Thanks.

jplinville

Reaction score
That's just a warning about the freezing temps.

What was the weight oil that was put in last? If it's too thick, that could cause issues.

I'd go for the tune-up and proper oil. It never hurts, especially if you don't know when it was done last.

Good roads...

Sdubb3

Reaction score
LOL ok. Thats what I thought it was. I believe 5w30 was put in at the last oil put in 2 weeks ago. Ok so I will start with the tuneup.

BTW it started up on 2 tries this morning. Temp was about 25*

Thanks.