Compressor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekw7

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find instructions for replacing the AC compressor on my 99 (boxy style) Tahoe?

Thanks

NoEcm

Reaction score
Replacement is pretty straight forward:

It is recommended that you replace the compressor with a Sanden HT6. This is a much better compressor than the OEM which tended to develop leaks because the body parts were not keyed to each other.

1. Loosen fan belt and slip it off the compressor pulley

2. Unplug pressure switch plug from the rear of the compressor

3. Unbolt the A/C manifold from the compressor. 15mm socket I believe

4. Remove mounting 4 bolts (same 15mm socket)

5. Remove compressor from engine

Installation tips:

Use 2 new sealing rings under the A/C manifold. Ask for them when you order the compressor and you'll usually get them for free.

You'll have to transfer the pressure switch from the old compressor to the new compressor. You'll need a set of internal snap ring pliers to complete this part.

If you are using the Sanden compressor there is a spacer that fits under each mounting point. These are included with the compressor. Make sure you use them.

Torque values as follows:

Manifold to Compressor: 25 foot pounds

4 Mounting Bolts: 37 foot pounds. (work your way up to this value working from corner to corner).

It is also recommended that you replace the orifice and dryer at the same time. If replacing the dryer, make sure you add oil to compensate for what is trapped inside.

Good luck!!!