Courtesy Lights, staying on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've a 1999 Yukon SLT. The courtesy lights flick on and off while driving, stay on when key is shut off. Prior to starting this, the door open buzzer would buzz for a few seconds, then stop then alternate between working and not when the drivers door was open. I've tried jumping the door switchesbut that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have not changed the relay, I have never heard of one failing closed. Anyone run across something like this??

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
door switches are notoriously bad on these trucks. i'd disconect both front switches and then see what happens.

tim@sp

Reaction score
Mine would come on at night and set off my alarm... I changed ALL of the switches so it would never happen again... Works fine now. The parts are cheap and easy to change. Start with the front ones and go from there. Also check the contacts on the rear doors if you have barn type doors. I sanded them down a bit and put some dialectric grease on them.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've got the fuse out right now, but with the nights getting longer I think it's time to fix whatever is haywire with the interior lights.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed all the door switches last evening. Same problem, the courtesy lights stay on when the key is off.
After reading and re reading the wiring diagram, I decided to depress the courtesy ligt light override on the head light switch. :umn:
The courtesy lights now work as they are intended to, however, with the override engaged. Almost sounds like a ground issue.
This all started around the same time that I had the rear bumper off to paint my trailer hitch.
Is there a ground wire attached to the top of the frame by one of the outer bummper brackets? I can't see or feel one but it is poosible that something didn't get put back in place when I put the brackets back on the top of the frame.