cranks only if gas is poured in.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHATSGOGO

Reaction score
I have a 99 tahoe. I recently chaged fuel filter. now about a week lata, I'm having trouble starting. is it on backwards?

the only way it starts is I have to but gas in the throttle body intake manifold.

why?

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dads 97 is doing the same thing. But to go further - once he does this to get it started it runs great and starts right up the rest of the day with no other defects noted. A friend told him that there is a sensor that wants a pressure of a certain amount (cant remember the psi) and that the pump is getting to weak to produce it. His pump does not whine like mine did before it gave out so I am very interested to here what some of the experienced folks here have to say so that I may pass it on to my father.

NoEcm

Reaction score
Take fuel pressure readings at the schrader valve for a Vortec:

Key On / Engine off: ~60-66 PSI

Engine Running: ~58 PSI or Higher

Engine Running and blip the throttle: ~60-62 PSI or higher

maddbrewer

Reaction score
Readings

If the readings are lower then posted. Does this mean that the fuel pump is bad??? Or could it be something else???

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like fuel pump is getting weak.. the pressure test is the answer though.

after you pour gas into the TB, and it starts, does it keep running?

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BE CAREFUL POURING GAS IN THE TB!!!!!!!!! Me, my Dad and my neighbor were trying to push my HOE up a drive way (after the fuel pump died) and three of us were'nt able to. So I thought it would be a good idea to pour gas in the TB while in reverse to get it up the driveway the rest of the way...It worked...BUT KEEP IN MIND...in order to do this you have to of course take the air intake apart...And like I said it worked until it back fired through the TB and lit the cup of gas on fire...and then my engine compartment....and then my dad....We looked like the three stooges and luckily had a fire extinguisher in hand...But dont worry the HOE is fine...and my Dad too.....I just wanted to give a little advise if anyone ever comes across this.