Custom Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shop that'll do custom tunning here in AZ, Phx or Tucson. I'd like to do it in a shop where I can go and see my beast on a dyno and be able to prove the HP increase instead of generic claim. I'm trying to squeeze all the ponies out of my engine without dropping $5,700 on a supercharger(installed at prodyno, I had to ask). So far I've found two shops.

www.prodyno.com they 17-25hp at the rear wheel (spoke with Matt and he seems to know his $hit.)

www.arizonadynochip.com they claim 50-100hp with a custom tune :bs:

both shop charge about $600 bucks for the tune and dyno. I'm open to comments, questions, experiences, or any feedback.

stss95

Reaction score
I would go with the first one, 50-100hp with a custom tune??? are you kidding???

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke the with gentlemen that did my suspension and they also gave prop's to prodyno.com. His claims are more real than 50-100hp.

dlz71

Reaction score
Post from the separate tuning thread -

scott_mckinney
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member Join Date: Feb 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can obtain the same power upgrades using the Edge chip, with more additional features, for around the same pricing...

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=5234
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2457532

scott_mckinney
View Public Profile
Send a private message to scott_mckinney
Send email to scott_mckinney
Visit scott_mckinney's homepage!
Find all posts by scott_mckinney
Add scott_mckinney to Your Buddy List

#23 Today, 09:06 AM
dlz71
Tahoeforum Noob Join Date: Jan 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw - I forgot to mention mine was on 87 octane.

Scott - please define - "same power upgrades..." I looked at the dyno numbers posted by edge and they aren't the same in my book.

Looking at Edge's posted dyno sheet - my initial run on the dyno (before the custom tune) - was better than the extreme setting that the edge got (now - this could be due to my exhaust / intake). More specifically - my torque numbers (after my tune) are 275 starting at 2500 rpm - and go up to 298 at 4000 - if you look at the posted dyno sheet for the edge (torque 225 at 3250 rpm - barely above 250 up to 4500) - that's not even close!!!

The other reason I decided to go custom vs. a chip/programmer - is 1) I did not want to deal with any progam unit or going out and looking for software updates...; 2) The guy who did mine has tuned like 2000 gm vehicles; 3) I got to see mine on the dyno - not a manufacturer's dyno sheet;

Just my two cents...

beden1

Reaction score
Dyno Tune on a stock or mildly modded vehicle = Big Waste of Money IMO.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell the arizonadynochip guy to put it in writing that you'll get 50hp or you get your money back.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best $500 you'll ever spend, and I guarantee you will make 100hp
plate-1.jpg

:smilielol:

dlz71

Reaction score
Dyno Tune on a stock or mildly modded vehicle = Big Waste of Money IMO.

the topic was on how to get the most ponies out of what you've got - if it were about not wasting money - we ought to all sell our Tahoes and get Honda Civics!!!- just kidding.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second guy www.prodyno.com said that they have put a programmer on vehicle did a before and after dyno and it only showed an increase of 3 hp.

I have a friend who is always getting on my case about adding after market stuff to vehicles this is what he says " chevy has spent millions of $ to give you the best prefromance/fuel encomy, why add an stuff to it" (he's right but)... My response (stolen from a member here) "to impress people I don't know".

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a dyno/custom tune is the best way to go, most plug ins like edge, superchips, hypertech, etc. are good add ons but they are all the same tune and not every truck is exactly the same, so on one truck it might add more than on another. yes the dyno/custom tune is more money but you will get a better tune from it, one big benefit from a custom pcm tune is getting rid of torque management which i dont think any handhelds do.

i would go with prodyno, sounds like they know there stuff...theres no way 50-100hp from a tune on a gas motor.