Dealership Fuel Treatment issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockman63

Reaction score
I took my 2016 Tahoe into my dealership for service. I was advised to have a fuel treatment done, which I did. After the service, the check engine light comes on. I returned to the dealership and was told the fuel treatment increased the emissions temperature and can throw an emissions code. I was advised to drive the vehicle a few days to see if the light goes out. It did not. Now I am being told the catalytic converter will need to be replaced. Thankfully, it is still under warranty. However, the dealership now acts as if the fuel treatment had nothing to do with the problem and if it was not still under warranty I would be responsible for the cost of replacing the converter! Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what would be my options if the vehicle was not under warranty? The Tahoe only has 32,000 miles on it. I am new to this site, but didn't find anything on my search for fuel treatment issues.

Bob2C

Reaction score
What kind of fuel treatment did they do? I have treated my fuel for years with various over the counter stuff sometimes doubling up and never had an issue harming the catalytic converter. Something doesn't seem right here, but at least you have it covered under the warranty. I tend to stay away from the stealerships unless its absolutely necessary. They always manage to screw something up

redneckcobra

Reaction score
I believe the emissions components are covered for five years. If you refuel at a high volume station I do not believe fuel treatment is needed.
I just got out of my old Suburban which had 456,000 miles on it. Only engine work was fuel pump, water pump and oil suction o-ring.