detailing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paintcare another question,

Ive heard stories of buffer machines being horrid on paint if not knowing how to use them...

Is there are buffer that is good for a rookie to use, like myself, because this is a big truck to be doing with elbow grease... but I'm tryin to gather all my items and tools....

I know most are anti pep-boys or walmart or ect.. but I'm willing to buy one tonight because I want to wax my truck asap...

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paintcare another question,

Ive heard stories of buffer machines being horrid on paint if not knowing how to use them...

Is there are buffer that is good for a rookie to use, like myself, because this is a big truck to be doing with elbow grease... but I'm tryin to gather all my items and tools....

I know most are anti pep-boys or walmart or ect.. but I'm willing to buy one tonight because I want to wax my truck asap...

I just did my first detail ever, Went good. Takes some time. At first I was going kinda easy but then I noticed I could put a little more elbow into it. Heres what I got: http://autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-accessories.html

Here some pics of my detail:
http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=6073

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the auto geek site that he meant... i was on some other auto geek looking for a brush for my leather seats and i couldnt find it...

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the auto geek site that he meant... i was on some other auto geek looking for a brush for my leather seats and i couldnt find it...

Yeah, autogeek.net he did some instructional vids for them, real helpful.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that buffer is 200$.. I'll be doing the job by hand for now.... lol

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I actually got this kit:
http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Its, the buffer and the foam pads. I spent about $340ish on everything, including wax, polish and glaze. Well Worth it. Thats about how much your going to pay to have it done. Next time I won't have to pay still have alot left for the next go around.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea... I might have to wait a week before i can buy that 1... But Im just so afraid of using one of those things... cause I heard they burn the paint off...

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dual action orbital one Like the one I got, shouldn't do that unless u sit at the highest speed in the same spot for a super long time.

If you buy a circular one, it'll generate more heat. But the orbital spins in a random orbiting mode and instead of spinning in the same spot. If I did it you can do it.

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score

Not so much anti, they just have a limited selections and their products are consumer grade.

I try not to slide down out my seats... and I tell my gf to step down onto my running boards... but sometimes I forget...

Where on autogeek is that brush....?

Here are the brushes I was talking about

http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html

http://www.autogeek.net/natural-horse-hair-interior-upholstery-brush.html

Last edited:

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Yea... I might have to wait a week before i can buy that 1... But Im just so afraid of using one of those things... cause I heard they burn the paint off...

Exactly what Tast101 said...there is no forced rotation with the Porter Cable 7424 so it doesn't generate the heat like a rotary does.

They are very easy to use, but one of the few problems that can arise when polishing with a PC is not breaking down the polish completely and leaving a hazy finish (which is easily rectified with proper polishing).

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kool... so i would need both... or 1 of the 2 for my leather...

If both... how would I use them..? which for what and when....

And tast, its so many different pads in there.. how do you know which one to use for what.. lol... but the fact that its dual orbit might be better...

paintcarendetailing

Reaction score
Kool... so i would need both... or 1 of the 2 for my leather...

If both... how would I use them..? which for what and when....

And tast, its so many different pads in there.. how do you know which one to use for what.. lol... but the fact that its dual orbit might be better...

I've used the stiff brush for years, it works great and is great for getting into seams. I just started using the horse hair brush, it works great on seats that don't need as deep of cleaning. If I had to choose, I'd get the stiff bristled brush.

As far as pads...the pad helps determine the cutting abilities of the polish. For example, if you are using a med. aggressive polish with a polishing pad and it's not removing the imperfections, you can move up to a med. cut pad and add more cut to the paint.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mike1951

Reaction score
you are pretty safe with the orbital...a good craftsman one works fine...
I have the one with the removable and washable terry cloth bonnets...
use a damp bonnet put the wax on and go to town, remember to start in the middle of big areas and work towards edges, this should help prevent getting wax in areas like between the hood and the body..

markiv396

Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips. Is that Zaino available at AutoZones or is it a direct order product?

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paintcarendetailing

Your Yukon is sharp. I like the grill? What size tires and rims are you running?