diff fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tofst4uvette

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. and need little help.
I just changed the diff fluid in the rear and added the limited slip addititive,
do I have to add it to the front diff also?

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. and need little help.
I just changed the diff fluid in the rear and added the limited slip addititive,
do I have to add it to the front diff also?

Negative, the front diff does not have limited slip. :nonod:

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what happens if you dont put posi or limited slip fluid in the rear end>??

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will be changing my diff fluid after some little vibration when making left or right

turns i put new repair bearing in back in may and i put just gear oil in it.

after reading this post i read the diff bottle and it says use only for topping off

not for limited slip diffi will be changing it tomorrow and hope it's not to

late. it just started 3 weeks ago

Turbizzy

Reaction score
Umm I don't remember us ever using limited slip additive to the diffs. If your talkin about the G80s then those are not limited slips, they're a locker style diff with small limited slip action but i don't think they need the additive. At least we never used it when i worked for Chebby. We just installed Mobil Synthetic GL5 and thats it.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well so far i haven't felt that vibration sinse changing the diff oil!!!

hoser

Reaction score
Some posi rear axles have clutches in them thats when you need the additives, you can get a bottle from any GM dealer, dump it in then after 20 miles find a large parking lot and make about 20 figure 8's... when you turn the clutches slip because of the difference in inside outside tire speed, when they slip they will be subject to the friction modifier you added to the lube and mixed up by driving the 20 miles, once the clutch plates are covered in the new oil additive any noises and chatter will go away.

Some ask why you just cant turn left for 10 loops then switch and turn right for 10 loops, GM recommends figure 8's so you dont over heat the clutches your trying to lube, switching directions gives time for the clutches to cool.

"well being that ive gone through 4 rears il help out"

I assume you went about 800k miles to go through 4 rears?

What ever you guys do after changing your axle lube and filling up after taking it for say a 100 mile spin soon as you stop open the fill plug and see if the gear lube is foaming, some gear oils FOAM I learned this in my 90 Surburban, I usually use Valvoline gear lube, the store was out so I used Penzoil after 500 miles I stopped at a rest area to take a break and smelled gear lube, their was lube on my rear bumper, the lube foamed at long hwy speeds and was dripping out the vent.

STAY AWAY FROM LUCAS!!!!!!!

Seen that little gear demo thing on the counter of your auto parts store, turn the lucas oil side real fast for 15 min, have your friends help it all turns to foam, the straight oil side does NOT.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Turbizzy

Reaction score
I've gotta agree on the foaming, that is possilble. This is why you need to A) not over fill it, GM recommend filling till about a fingertip is between the fill plug and fluid level, not all the way up until it pours out and B) only use synthetic gear oil since it has less chances of foamin as apposed to conventional oils.

As far as the friction modifier again we did not use it on trucks, that was more meant for the F bodys and those kinda cars with true limited slip diffs, not trucks with G80 lockers. As far as I know friction modifiers aren't needed in the G80s so long as your using synthetic fluid your fine.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I heard royal purple is the best synth lubes. welcome to the forum though, hope you get that figured out.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
haha actully 4 rears in 2 years haha like i got the truck with 63k on it and now it has 95, but i switched my posi out with a detriot tru trac and thats the best way to go, cause with the spider gears they push out and away from eachother to lock to the carrier to make it posi-locked, and i was slowly grinding away on the spidergears teeth, but basicly what im runnin is a detriot tru-trac, yukon gears 3.73 and royal purple lube and i have had no problems at all, and going through the other rears this ones held up perfect,
and has had the same abuse, pullin buddys outa the mudd, donuts in the snow, whippin it sideways in the rain lol, but yeah i also think that over sized tires dont help the rears much eather, cause im runnin 305/70R16's

hoser

Reaction score
haha actully 4 rears in 2 years haha like i got the truck with 63k on it and now it has 95, but i switched my posi out with a detriot tru trac and thats the best way to go, cause with the spider gears they push out and away from eachother to lock to the carrier to make it posi-locked, and i was slowly grinding away on the spidergears teeth, but basicly what im runnin is a detriot tru-trac, yukon gears 3.73 and royal purple lube and i have had no problems at all, and going through the other rears this ones held up perfect,
and has had the same abuse, pullin buddys outa the mudd, donuts in the snow, whippin it sideways in the rain lol, but yeah i also think that over sized tires dont help the rears much eather, cause im runnin 305/70R16's

But what was causing the failures, with each part failure their is a root cause for its failure, yours failing the first time in that short of time indicates their was something seriously wrong as with any axle assembly that does not go a few hundred thousand miles, the parts failing again so soon is a indication you didnt find the root cause for the original and subsequent failures.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will it hurt mine either way? just replaced the rear diff fluid and gasket. didnt add any limited slip additive but should I??

Razincayne

Reaction score
will it hurt mine either way? just replaced the rear diff fluid and gasket. didnt add any limited slip additive but should I??

Absolutely NOT....If anyone has added any additive to your G80 get that lube changed ASAP. You are not supposed to use any additives in a locker.

G80 is a Eaton Locker and is not a posi. It is suppose to "LOCK" when 1 wheel spins 100 RPM faster than the other one. It does this by weights inside the diff getting spun out by centrifical force and locking the diff. There is NO clutch pack.

" There was a Chevrolet service bulletin a few years back that said, all light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a Eaton locking differential. The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life. "

One simple rule to follow with a G80. When you sense one wheel spinning go EASY on the gas until you feel the other wheel engage. Then slowly move yourself out of the mud, ice, etc. Problem is, most people mash on the gas when they get stuck or start slipping and then the locker locks so hard that it cracks the main carrier. Lots of people think that the G80 is junk because of this. If you are not a serious off-roader or run oversize tires then the G80 will last a lifetime. These are designed for the average driver.

IMHO...As with most suspension and drive line components, raising the suspension and running oversize tires was never considered in the design of the G80 so that appears to be where problems can surface.

Turbizzy

Reaction score
I couldn't have said it any better Razincayne, you musta done your homework lol.

But again i gotta point out there are clutch packs (friction discs) inside a G80 just not designed like a standard posi. But additive is not needed becuase the clutch packs are not engaged until the locker is.

Here's a really good video of how a G80 works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A-YNw8ddE

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
hahaha well the root cause was me hahaha! i will admit, i wish the truck could do wheelies haha, but no, the first like 3 rears where rebuilt at a shop, then when the last one went i rebuilt it, put the detriot tru tac in and the yukon gears and no problems, i checked the axle houseint to make sure no bearings where spun or anything, the problem was me, and the clutch pack would wear thin, then it would cause excessive play between the spider gears and side gears that are against the case, then slowly it would wear away on the spiders cause of the free play, then one night out in the snow they just broke lose as i was doing a donut, lol so il admit it was my fault :-/