Differential oil level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukeiiixxx

Reaction score
a mechanic said that all new GM trucks come with Dif. Oil below the level and I need to add up more oil to protect it.

If some body can tell wither this is true or not, please reply!
:ktoe:

dukeiiixxx

Reaction score
No one can tell yet ???

did any one checked it with the local dealer?

did any one change the oil and wonder what was the original quantity ???:crazy:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now why would GM put less diff oil then is required????? Does your "mechanic" friend happen to work at Jiffy Lube???? lol

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know though, my dad checked the diff on his Duramax after he got it, and sure enough it was low. He used to be a Chevy mechanic and, being able to feel the pulse of their mentality, guessed that they put just enough in to make it function without real harm, but saving a few ounces on every vehicle built each year saves them a lot of money. You can't do that to a motor or tranny, but I could see it with a differential. And consider this- if it wears down prematurely, but not within warranty and within a "normal" time frame, they can sell more replacement parts. Might sound far-fetched but businesses do far-fetched things in the name of money. How's that for conspiracy theory?

Also, I think the dealers are supposed to top everything off, but maybe they skip that because it actually requires removing a bolt. I told mine to check it and he just said they check everything that's required, but he had no idea what I was talking about. I'm about to replace all driveline fluids with Amsoil anyway.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But probably that difference of an inch or whatever doesn't even make a difference, as base of the gears are still submerged in it and the gear teeth carry the heavy oil up to the point where the teeth mesh together. Agreed that they probably wouldn't do something like this if it caused damage.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine the other day and first of all it's a real bitch getting your little finger in that damn hole with the spare and the sway bar in the way, but when I finally did I was just able to stick my pinky in there and get the tip wet, which I think is the right level. I don't think it's supposed to be so full it comes pouring out when you remove the plug.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine the other day and first of all it's a real bitch getting your little finger in that damn hole with the spare and the sway bar in the way, but when I finally did I was just able to stick my pinky in there and get the tip wet, which I think is the right level. I don't think it's supposed to be so full it comes pouring out when you remove the plug.

That's right, it should be at or just below the hole when on level ground.

dukeiiixxx

Reaction score
Thanks Black dog,

I'm asking because I'm getting my 4x4 LT Tahoe tomorrow and want be sure that this is not the case for all the GM trucks. Diff oil and other fluid must be checked even after dealer confirmation.

I wanted to know what would the others say about this ( incase some one had find the oil level lower the recommended). Moreover, what is the normal level and how to check it by your self?

:inc:

dukeiiixxx

Reaction score
Now why would GM put less diff oil then is required????? Does your "mechanic" friend happen to work at Jiffy Lube???? lol

this is a good question, this would mean more money !!!
(either for the mechanic or for GM)

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Black dog,

I'm asking because I'm getting my 4x4 LT Tahoe tomorrow and want be sure that this is not the case for all the GM trucks. Diff oil and other fluid must be checked even after dealer confirmation.

I wanted to know what would the others say about this ( incase some one had find the oil level lower the recommended). Moreover, what is the normal level and how to check it by your self?

:inc:

Like I said in the above post, stick your pinky in the diff. hole and if you can get fluid on the tip of your finger your good to go.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bend a zip tie at the right segments and you can check that diff oil no problem.
as far as diff level i'd fill it till you get some slight-moderate overflow, close up tight, drive for a little bit, then check fluid level. it should come out a little more aggressively (expands with heat of course) and letting a little dribble won't hurt anything.