Disable 'Limit Features While Driving' on '08 NAV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bptexas

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disable the 'Limit Features While Driving' that is enforced on the '08 Denali NAV system. The manual says it may have the ability to disable, but this option is not found under the Menu tab. It is very annoying to have limited Navigation and XM usage while driving. Granted it is a safeguard by 'Big Brother', but if there was some decent engineering at GM they would hook this feature into the passenger airbag on/off system such that a passenger, if present, would have full access to all NAV and XM functions. Currently one must pull over and put the car in park in order to change a navigation setting or scroll the complete list of XM stations...very annoying!

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very common old topic.

The main "fix" is a Lockpick, which is a plug-in module that allows the in motion lock on Navigation and DVD playing functions to be shut off, in a sense.

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMC_APPLICATIONS.htm

That's the main one, and I think there might be one or two others, but not sure. Basically, that's the only way around the blocks, which are standard on the systems and can't otherwise be removed.

bptexas

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Been reading up and read this from GNET site;

'The latest revision of the GNET GM Unlock Nav & DVD Override Module allows for the override to work automatically without the need to press any buttons to enable the DVD in motion feature (applies to vehicles manufactured before 10/06). For vehicles manufactured after 10/06 the unit must be setup for "Manual DVD Mode" which requires you to press the voice / mute button on the steering wheel to activate the DVD / Aux input in motion. The automatic override lockpick feature is just for the DVD in motion activation. To override the the navigation address input, XM and toggle the video input on the module, a series of buton presses is required.'

Can anyone verify this is also true with the coastaletech unit (I imagine they are the same).

Thanks!

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3rd gen lockpick (GMX-320)

1) You have to press Mute on steering wheel 4 times. This will basically cut the signal to the GPS so it makes it think you are standing still. Then all DVD front playback, NAV address entry will work. Then you have to press the Mute 4 times to let the GPS signal continue.

2) If you press the Window Lockout (on driver door) button first, then Mute 4 times, it will turn your backup camera on (if so equipped) even if you do not have it in reverse. But you cannot be in XM mode otherwise you it will just be black screen.

I don't know of a "single" button push as you described above.

It sounds like I am one of the lucky ones that actually has a GMX-320 that works.... Coastal support is non-existant.

zr2sms

Reaction score
My GMX-320 works perfectly as well. :thumbsup:

Murfs

Reaction score
"Caution" page on Nav. screen?

Do you know how to disable the "Caution" screen on the Nav. screen on a 2008 Tahoe?
It is getting on my nerves after reading it 1,000 times.

dedoman

Reaction score
Hello, Im thinking about gettting a GMX-320 installed as well... if you dont mind me asking, Did you guys install yourself or did you have a tech do it elseware and if so, what did you pay for the install?
Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Gen-3 (not a GMX-320) in like 20 minutes. No real previous experience, just followed the instructional video on their site. Really simple, and not a single problem. I wouldn't pay for an installation of something so easy, but hey, if you're nervous and don't wanna mess with it...