Does anyone know where to buy black bowties?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy a set of black bowties for 2007 Tahoe. All I could find was a vinyl overlay which doesnt look. I want the ones that are actually sanded, painted, polished, etc.. so they won't peel off or discolor overtime.

Can anyone recommend some an online retailer? Offline is also fine.

Thanks much in advance.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a member on here (JazzJeff?) that sells them... I thought that they were kind of expensive, so I decided to paint them myself. There's a thread on it in the Tech area...

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have seen in person those bowties that JazzJeff is offering. My friend got one of those for his truck. look very impressive

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to just spend 10 bucks on paint and try it myself. Worst case scenario I screw it up and just buy them from JazzJeff

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is what you do then. tape it what ever you don't want to be painted. then scuff it with 600 gritt automotive sandpaper.spay it with adhesion promoter, paint it, and spray it with clear coat. all that you can get from any automotive store.
good luck

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is what you do then. tape it what ever you don't want to be painted. then scuff it with 600 gritt automotive sandpaper.spay it with adhesion promoter, paint it, and spray it with clear coat. all that you can get from any automotive store.
good luck

Thanks for that info :thumbsup: .... Do you think its necessary to take the emblems off, or do you think I can just tape everything off while they are on the truck?

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I will try them. So to clarify the steps are:

1. Put tapes over where you dont want the paint.
2. Scuff the emblem with 600 gritt automotive sandpaper.
3. Spray it with adhesion promoter
4. Paint it
5. Spray it with clear coat.

Sorry guys, one more question. Which type of paint do I use?

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Duplicolor High gloss black from Oreillys....

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is a little info. hope this will help to some of you.

after you tape it and scuff it this is the best adhesion promoter I founded so far ( I've tried them all)

c399326e.jpg

best paint to use is of course automotive, but the problem is, it's sold by quarts only, and you still have to buy a paint reduser and a sprayer.
what I can do is just to cover my cost, for like $10 including shipping I can send you paint (enough to do up to 10 bowties), sandpaper and sprayer. and all you have to do is to buy adheasion promoter and clear coat
this is what sprayer looks like

6e99bb7b.jpg

and clear coat

94acc4dd.jpg

also guys, check out this link

http://www.paintscratch.com/

there is lots of info about color codes and more

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a new thread w/ this question in the tech section, but I thought I'd try here too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I took off my bowties, sanded them, sprayed w/ adhesion promoter, painted, and then clearcoated. On my last coat of clearcoat on my rear bowtie, an F'n fly (I was in my backyard :mad2: ) flew into the bowtie and screwed up the paint job. I waited until it dryed and resanded the whole thing.

My question is, do I need to apply the adhesion promoter again? Or do I just paint since I'm not really painting on straight plastic now.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PICS!

I finally got it done, so I thought I'd share some pics....

Attachments

• Resize Bowties.JPG
    Resize Bowties.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 58

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So getting the front one off was as easy as reaching behind the grill with a 10mm socket and unscrewing the nuts?

Yup. The front took about 1-2 minutes to take off w/ a 10mm socket. The rear was a royal PITA!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question

Just curious. Mine (front) had three posts but only had the speed nuts on the outer two posts. Was yours like that or did it have three nuts?

PS: Yours look good. :thumbsup:

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only had two nuts...

and I would have had both off in about 20 seconds (first one came off in about 10 seconds)...but the 2nd one was put on backwards and stripped..it took me about an hour and PLENTY of scratches on my forearms and wrists fighting it off...what dumba$$ at Chevy put a nut on backwards and then stripped it all sideways. I had to use different sizes of sockets to fit over the bent tabs on the nut and use a lot of force to finally to get it off.....thankfully it FINALLY came off and I installed the new chrome replacement!!! The White LTZ with the stock chrome and chrome bowtie's front and rear looks real nice. I would just take the back one completely off but the two holes don't look very good (I put a little silicon in each to keep water out if it gets behind the new emblem)...

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Mine (front) had three posts but only had the speed nuts on the outer two posts. Was yours like that or did it have three nuts?

PS: Yours look good. :thumbsup:

Yup, mine was exactly as you described. Three posts, but only nuts on the outer two....

Thanks for the compliment. I'm very happy w/ how it turned out considering this was the first time I've ever attempted any type of paint work. It's amazing what you can do when you pump up your raisins and dive right into something. :clapping:

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys my bowties are done professionally if you want the best cal me they cost $130 for both and i guarantee satisfaction!!!!

shop#951-343-0806 ask for jeff
cell #714-337-0741