Dome Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black on Black

Reaction score
Recently out of nowhere all the interior dome lights stopped working, and I have no idea why.
Ive never had this problem, and was wondering if anyone has any trouble shooting tips so that I dont spend hours upon hours locating this fault.

I know the first suggestion will be check the fuse,
so which one is it?
When I got the truck it did not come with a manual.

Thanks for any help!

NJTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I had a power problem once and the best bet is to go to Autozone, pepboys or whatever local parts store you have and get a test light. It's a power probe and you attach one end to a ground, pretty much any metal part of the vehicle, and put it on both ends of the fuse to see if it has power. If the light comes on, your good, if not replace the fuse. it's a 2 or 3 dollar tool that will save you a headache trying to find out where the problem is. I have the same problem with the manual. But I'm pretty sure you can google it.

Black on Black

Reaction score
Tried looking for the relay for interior lighting, the online manual said under instrument cluster to the left of the steering column, which it wasnt, so i assumed it meant the one you can access when the driver door is open, and the diagram was not the same as what i could see. so i had no idea which was the correct relay.

still pretty stumped lol

NJTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right under the knob to turn on the headlights is a pushbutton. It says something like Light override, or something like that. Push that button. I saw it and was like what does this do??? and while I was in the car it doesn't do anything. After I got out the dome lights didn't work. I pushed the button again while the door was open and what do you know I had light. Check that button.

Nurser

Reaction score
Open either door, black push button up where the door meets the dash, wiggle it. The contacts go bad and the switch needs to be replaced. Advance Auto usually has the part for about $3.

2002Tahoe4X4

Reaction score
Interior Lights

The lamps and roof run off the ctsy fuse in the underhood fuse block. That would be the first place to check.

You could have pinched a wire to one of the door panel lamps when you put the panels back on. The most common place for the circuit to short is at the visor mounts.