Don't Laugh, Painting Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am about to go on a road trip with my family and as much as I like the 22's the are a bit of a rough ride. I want to put my stock wheels back on but I like the blacked out look just to much. So I am thinking about painting the stock Denali wheels black. I would powder coat them but it's not really worth the money. They will probablly be on the car once or twice a year. I have heard of VHT wheel paint which I understand is pretty good and covers well. Just wondering if any one has been this crazy? (I should mention that I will have a full car as well a trailer, and the load rating is higher in the stocks.)

JAY DEE

Reaction score
Are ytou talking about doing it yourself? If so i wouldnt take the risk. Just take them to a shop and get them done for about 150-200!

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my rig didn't come with stock wheels but alcoa Outlaws that were beat to hell with the clearcoat coming off, I had them powdercoated in hammered black for $135 plus tax for all four, worth every penny.
P4120027.jpg

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Krylon and a few other brands make wheel paint enamel that holds up very well, I might try that with the new set of 20's I'm buying.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since a friend of mine offered to sandblast my wheels, I thought what the hell if it dosen't work I just blast it off and have them powder coated. I should mention that I got my paint at cost. I started with a black primer after two coats I switched to the VHT Satin black paint. The paint laid down very nicely and covered quite well. I was careful enough not to get any runs, which with a rattle can sometimes seems impossible. I love how they turned out and if they hold up pretty well I will probably run them as snow tires. With as much salt as they put on the roads here in utah its a surprise that our cars last as long as they do.

Attachments

• Blasted.jpg
    Blasted.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 79
  • compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Finished-Wheel.jpg
    Finished-Wheel.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 79

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as I have them on the car I will post another pic.

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stockergt, those wheels look nice. Looks like you did a great job on the painting!

Randi

Reaction score
those look nice! I'm with ya on the salt. I put new wheels on in Oct and this winter has been hard on them. I'm wishing I would have kept my stock wheels/tires.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used DupliColor wheel paint a while ago on a Civic I had. I had curbed and bent a 17" wheel I had on there. When they were finally bald because of the camber I had the tires removed. Threw the stockers back on for a week. Took some Lacquer Thinner and cleaned them very very good. Sprayed them with that paint and they turned out great.

I got to the thread late, but yours look like they turned out awesome.

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'd look cool. I chose to leave the center caps and lugs chrome on mine. But then they are just 16" American Racing outlaws, I love the look.