Dreaded P0445 Large Leak Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
New member here. Posted this to detail my experience with this code as I know it is a headache for most. In my experience, the gas cap is rarely the issue unless you can clearly determine the cap is defective.

My wife's 2007 Tahoe LTZ has 150K miles with ZERO issues. All I've done is change oil, rotate tires, tune up, and fill with gas. Oh yeah, transmission service done at 75K so due again. Anyhoo, got 2 codes about a month ago. One was the throttle position sensor code and the other the dreaded P0445 large leak code.

The TPS code is usually fairly simple. Pull the throttle body off and clean it good but DON'T MOVE THE THROTTLE VANE WHILE DOING THIS! Just spray it down generously with carb cleaner and get the gunk off. If this doesn't work to resolve the code, the sensor may actually be kaput. The sensor is built into the throttle body so the whole unit needs replaced but they are relatively cheap and simple as the new one just bolts into place and plugs in.

Now, on to the P0445 large leak code. The good news is that it is usually NOT a leak unless the gas cap is bad, which is usually NOT the case as mentioned. Of course, you'll want to make sure the cap is on properly. Also, the first thing to do is check underhood and under the truck at all the EVAP lines to make sure nothing is disconnected, loose, or split etc. The EVAP system relies on vacuum to register properly with the computer. If any of the components are not functioning or are gunked up and clogged, vacuum will not pull the way it should or not at all and this disruption in flow is interpreted as a "leak" by the computer. Voila! Check engine light!: First thing I did was change cap. Buy an AC Delco OEM cap. I did this and light stayed on. I then changed the vent solenoid under the truck. Light stayed off for about 4 days but came back on. The next thing was to replace the underhood purge solenoid. Light has been off for 3 weeks running now so this looks like this was the culprit. Cap $30. Vent solenoid $69. Purge solenoid $30. Still a lot cheaper than what a shop would've cost.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from an actual leak, computer, or shorted wiring circuits.. theres is still one more common component failure to trigger that DTC.. ..

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
Purge solenoid on left front of intake behind alternator:
f6fb34j

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry you didn't understand my post.. I know where the purge solenoid is.... I was talking about the fuel tank pressure sensor if is defective it can also trigger the p0445... if its not sending a negative pressure signal to the pcm it will think there's a large leak also

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
That's a less likely source of trouble, but yes, that is correct.

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
I'm trying to post a pic of the solenoid for others as its location is a common question. How do post pics? I'm not having much luck.

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
This is the purge solenoid on the front left of the intake behind the alternator. It has the the rigid hose with the green access cap attached to the back. It slides onto a vertical metal bracket that keeps it in position.

q768.jpg

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the bracket. I'm standing at the front of the truck looking at the back side of the purge solenoid. You can see the metal bracket where my screwdriver is. The solenoid basically slides on and off. The bracket has a central metal post that catches a tab on the solenoid to hold it in place. This metal post is not springy but simply bends back and forth. Just slide a flat screwdriver between the solenoid and the post and bend the post away from the solenoid tab. The solenoid should slide right off. Disconnect the hoses and the power wire and simply install the new solenoid by re-attaching hoses and power supply. What I find easiest when replacing the solenoid onto the bracket is to bend the metal post on the bracket back into place first and then pushing the solenoid back onto the bracket over the already bent post so it simply just catches the tab as it passes it.

irjv.jpg

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out but the best way would be to have a scanner with bi-directional controls and a smoke machine. that way your not just throwing parts at it. no sense in replacing parts that are not broken......

jcb-tahoe-z71

Reaction score
Wanted to thank everyone who input on this thread... helped me solve my P0445 large leak problems. For everyone else who needs help I thought I would tell what worked for me.
2008 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L with 162,000 miles.

Check engine light turned on one day, and shortly thereafter it began taking more work to fill the tank - the gas was not making it down the fill line easily b/c air wasn't displacing from the tank to make room for the gas.

My first action taken was to drop down the spare tire, take out the EVAP solenoid canister, and clean it out. I simply popped off one tube and knocked out all the road dust that had built up inside the canister. I also thoroughly shook out both tubes going to and from the charcoal canister and EVAP canister. A LOT came out so I would definitely recommend this step.

2) I replaced the purge canister up underneath the hood, as instructed by WIFESLTZ (great instructions).

Boom... Diagnostic tool pulling 0 codes, truck running great, and gas tank filling like a charm.