Edge Evolution / SMM Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renny

Reaction score
I just installed the edge evolution on my 5.3L 07 yukon. I have only run the economy mode so far and as far as i can tell, under normal driving, the truck is running consistently in the high teens and low twenties for fuel economy per the DIC. This is a major improvement over previous which placed the fuel ecomony in the mid to low teens. On the flip side, the truck is now a beast. I have not done much to test the performance but I've noticed that the pick-up on the highway is now ridiculously faster. However, please note the fuel ecomony went to sh*t when I got on it like that ,as expected. The installation was a breeze, taking about 10 easy minutes.
I bought this from SMM performance (gosmm.com). The guys at SMM beat everyones price by $25 ($375 with shipping). They were great communicators and kept me in the loop with regard to shipping etc. I would recommend them for other purchases.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the review both of the Evolution and SMM. Keep us updated.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats nice of them to sell below the MVP pricing...now wonder the rest of the dealers have a tough time making a sale...guess they didn't read the fine print in the dealer agreement.

Renny

Reaction score
they were offering some kind of group buying promo for tahoe forum members. maybe they got special permission from edge.... dunno. i just went after the best deal out there; didn't question it.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
installing Edge chip

I'm thinking about buying this through gossman but I'm a little concerned about the installation. I know you said that it was easy, but can you post the instructions if possible? If anyone knows where I can pull it off the web please post as well as I've been trying to pull them up on the web and haven't been to sucessful. I would hate to buy it and have to take it to a local dealer for installation afterwards. I would rather just buy it here in Houston if it's a pain to install.

Thanks
-Dariel
07 White LTZ w/22's

Renny

Reaction score
Installation instructions:
1)Install software on computer
2)Disable computer firewall
3) Plug Evo into computer
4) update evo on computer
5) plug evo into car
6) write down calibration codes
7) proceed thru evo installation process.
8) select performance level
9) load level on to car computer
10) done

This really could not be more simple. If you are just a little computer savy this will be no problem at all. The most difficult thing was figuring out how to turn off the norton firewall software on my laptop.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
Thanks

Being that I'm a systems administrator that will be easy for me. It's installing it on the Tahoe that I'm wondering about. I'm sure I'm sounding dumb here but where about's is the component where the evo hooks up to the truck? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks!

dcbeltran

Reaction score
Instructions-Thanks

Thanks for the link! This does answer a lot of questions. It is easy, my friend has a Ford F-250 and his edge was a lot more intrusive. This is pretty simple, just removing a couple of plastic parts to run cable is not bad. One thing I read was that you can put the computer back to the edge defaults but it doesn't put it back to factory default settings. Have you had issues with warranty being voided because of this? Or is there a way to save the factory defaults so when we make that dealer visit?

Thanks!

Renny

Reaction score
when first installing the evo into your car, the evo makes a copy of all factory defaults for your specifc vehicle. it then saves the file as a option to restore to factory default when you want to sell the vehicle, uninstall the evo or take the truck it to the dealer. If the dealer was to see that the vehicle was running a different program they would definitely be able to void a portion of your warranty per the magnuson-moss aftermarket upgrade act.
So it is critical that you restore to the factory default prior to going to a dealer. You may have also noticed that the manual states that while the evo can restore defaults, there will be a footprint in the program that can cue a technician into the fact that you have been tinkering with the program. It is my understanding that this footprint is not an obvious neon sign that a technician can easily see but rather something that the tech has to be specially trained to identify. I read in a another thread that GM is supposedly training the techs to identify the cues. I have not had to take my yukon in for service so I can't say how the situation would play out in reality. I bought my evo for fuel economy so I had a financially motivating factor to offset the risk of voiding the warranty on the drive train. With all of that said, I have read about a number of users that have taken their vehicles in with the evo restored to factory default and have had no problems. I am just letting you know about the potential downside of using this device. It is just a judgement call and a risk/benefit decision.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
evo

Thanks so much for the info, I will take that into account! I'm also look into the benifits of the gas milage increase. I figured if I can get 5 miles extra per gallon as you stated from the high teens to low 20's the evo pays for itself around 2k extra miles from my normal driving. are you still getting those increases and is that driving in the city or hwy?

Thanks for the information!

Renny

Reaction score
the improvement in fuel economy is between 1 and 2 mpg with the evo. There is really nothing that I have heard of that will get you a 5 mpg improvement. The CAI didn't do much or at least nothing noticeable. A custom exhaust is debatable; some say it improves the MGP others say it actually makes it worse.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
milage

Thanks, I will take that into consideration. I was going on your high teens, low twenties statement which would be 5 extra MPG for me since I'm only getting 15 MPG right now.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the Evolution work on an '08 5.3l?

I have read everywhere but it only includes '07 5.3l.

o2bwln

Reaction score
Great info guys.
I'd love to purchase this product but am nervous about it voiding my warranty. I just purchased an 08 z71 and would hate to try this only to have my dealer say 'sorry your warranty is void"!!
Anyone have dealer experiences with this product?
Thanks,
O2bwln

TooTallTex

Reaction score
Warranty

I want one too but am going to wait the rull 5 years or mileage as I read one post where they are training GM techs to lookfor footprints of tuners.

But it is hard after reading all the positive feedback on the edge.
Make sure you google the place you buy from as I also read that any price lower than 399 may not be legit as there is a price freeze from manufacturer.
If they sell below 399 they loose ability to sell.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats nice of them to sell below the MVP pricing...now wonder the rest of the dealers have a tough time making a sale...guess they didn't read the fine print in the dealer agreement.
It doesn't surprise me, I did almost $900 in powdercoating work for Scott back in April and now he wont pay me, nor answer emails or phone calls. There are also a couple other complaints on www.rippedoff.com about them.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me, I did almost $900 in powdercoating work for Scott back in April and now he wont pay me, nor answer emails or phone calls. There are also a couple other complaints on www.rippedoff.com about them.

Wow, you should powdercoat his face. How exactly did he pull that on you, anyway?