EDGE Evolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bisignano

Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of posts on this but I want to throw my two cents in and let everyone know how I feel about the system and what issues I have had.
I got my evolution the second week of January for my '07 Hoe LTZ 4WD 5.3 FlexFuel with a CAI. It took about a week to get. The unit connected very easily. I did have to call and get the POD B to fit my dash. That took about two weeks to get and I had to call. Edge stated they never got the order to shipping and sent the POD out overnight delivery.
I went out the next day and started my Hoe and the evolution back light came on and no numbers. I had to unplug the unit and it then worked. I drove to work and noticed an immediate increase in gas mileage by about one mile per gallon. I drive 58 miles to and from work each day. 90% of the drive is highway.
I called Edge that afternoon and technical support stated they had never heard of the problem happening and sent me a new unit. Again, overnight delivery. I received the new unit and installed it. The unit worked fine.
I drove to New Jersey using the performance mode with 93 Octane and got about 22 MPG. All highway. I changed back to economy with 87 on the way home and got 21 MPG. Don't see the difference in MPG, however, horsepower and torque are noticeably different in performance mode.
About a two weeks after receiving the new unit, the evolution started not turning on at all. I would have to unplug the unit every time I start the vehicle.
I called Edge again and spoke to technical support. They are very helpful but have not heard of this problem. I am still working with them to get the system fixed. I have replaced the unit again and the cable. I have had Chevy look at my OBDII and they state that is good.
I love the gas mileage but hate the unplugging and plugging every time I start the vehicle.
Is anyone else having this problem?
If anyone is on the fence about this product, buy it. It is worth the money. Don't think you are going to get 4 to 5 miles increase in MPG every tank, but you will see, and feel the difference.

teemgreen99

Reaction score
I have the edge on mine and have never had a problem with it, I also had it on my previous truck. I absolutley love this product and would recommend it to anyone. I hope that your problems are worked out this thing really is cool to use. good luck

bisignano

Reaction score
Thank you. I have no doubt that Edge will work it out. I do love the product also.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2. I'm on Extreme and do not leave connected also. Too worried some punk is going break a window to snag it. Love the extra performance + mileage. Running 91 doesn't bother me because it's worth it.

The data output is nice, but I already have too many distractions in the cab. :)

One thing to note when you guys program, do you guys check the tire size setting? I have to increase it every time I program it because I'm running 285/55/20, but it looks like default setting in the Edge is equivalent to 265/75/16. Just wondering if the Edge sends in this smaller size if you don't adjust it during programming.

ki4izq

Reaction score
Hey! thats a good question.....

i am running factory 20's.... i was assuming the edge read that from the ecm and kept that setting since i didnt select to change that setting....

anyone with more info?????

bisignano

Reaction score
Rollin' on 20's

I am also on factory 20's. The ECM does take into consideration. It only needs to be changed if it is over that. I asked the question to Edge when I first got mine.
I found that I get really no difference in MPG between 87 and 93. Only tried one tank of gas. Maybe I will try it again.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my question to Edge and got a response yesterday:

Application: Edge Evolution on 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

Question: If I select any program w/o modifying the tire size, does the Evolution send in the default circumference in the Edge?, or leaves the PCM alone in that respect?

I notice that everytime I do a custom tune to adjust the tire size (I have 285/55/20s), the tire size default appears to be 265/75/16.

Answer:
=============================
Every time you go to change power levels, the Evolution will be programming for a completely stock truck. If you go into the custom programming, you need to "Load Previous Settings" first in order for the values to change to what you had them set to. I hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------
I guess that means that people should be aware of the tire size the Edge sends in if you leave it default (I'm pretty sure the default setting is the smallest size the Tahoe offers at 265/75/16 equivalent).

One of these days I'll use my handheld GPS and compare to the speedometer at the default setting and the modified tire setting.

bisignano

Reaction score
I will have to go back and ask Edge again. That is not the same answer they gave me. I have found that I am getting about 1 to 2 miles more per gallon. I did try the performance mode and did not get any additional MPG. I wonder if the performance mode is different? I am curious if I would get any better mileage if I customize the setting for the tires? I am a little afraid to change the settings. I will let you know what they say.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I am curious if I would get any better mileage if I customize the setting for the tires?

I would imagine that the custom setting MUST match your actual tire circumference, otherwise, your odometer will be inaccurate, and your MPG calculations will thus be wrong, for better or for worse. Set the tire size smaller than the actual size, and your economy will go up some, right? Or, put larger tires on and don't adjust the tire circumference, and the economy may appear to improve, though the increased wheel weight might offset those "gains". Does that make sense to anyone else?

I don't have custom options on mine, since they still don't understand the 6.2L and the 6-speed in the Denali, but that just means that my economy improvements are real. But, GGGRRRRRRrrrrrrr..........I want the custom options!!!! :cuss:

Renny

Reaction score
does the evolution program need to be customized for a CAI? or does the MAFsensor just provide the data and the evolution adjusts accordingly?

S

smmperformance

Hi. The Edge Evolution works with the MAF sensor and other engine sensors to adjust accordingly...

bisignano

Reaction score
I'm Back

Sorry that I haven't posted anything on this in a while. I have been at sea. I spoke with the engineers at Edge prior to my leaving. The technical support guys and the engineers stated that the custom tire size settings has little to do with the actual economy of the vehicle. Since the circumference difference is not great on the standard 16 inch and the 20 inch rim. The actual tire diameter is only about 9 inches in diameter between the 16 and 20 rim. Edge uses millimeters to calculate the tire size and the conversion is in the booklet. I did not discuss anything larger than 20 inch rims. I do know that when I built my Jeep several years ago and changed tire size from 225/70-15s to 33-16.5 tires and rims that my speedo was off by 3 mph at low speed to 10 mph at 70 mph. That still is not very significant when calculating mpg. You will spend most of you time averaging between 35 and 40 mph over the period of city to highway driving, unless you live on an interstate or deep in the country. I hope this helps.