electrical gremlin help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi , Having a dash light/radio light blinking situation. Seems like when the headlights are on a gremlin is awakened. Volt needle plummets when headlights are turned on ,then returns to close to normal and bounces when dash lights blink. Running lights ,no problem. Just want to see if there is a common problem with something before I start searching. Thanks 94 Yukon ,yep pretty much power everything.350

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like perhaps a bad ground somewhere....?????

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Lesterl , Thanks for the reply. Someone put on Halo lights. They seem to be separate ,with a toggle switch , and were not hooked up right. They had 2 negatives and no power. The search begins....

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to get a pic tonight. Pretty sure they are aftermarket.

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep ,aftermarket. May have narrowed it down even more. Sounds weird but , came home turned on the halo's (been using those for lights) every thing ok ,turned on headlights (unplugged drivers side)everything seemed ok ,until I started poking around on pass side. Thought I had some paper in my pocket or something. Yes , my lights make a noise! I'm thinking after a minute or so ,something is heating up ,ground ,bulb whatever. I don't think there's anything else in that area. I will look again tomorrow when I get home from work. I will now attempt to add a pic of the light. Wish I had the originals...Nope , don't know how to

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully found problem. When ,whoever , installed these aftermarket lights ,just didn't pay attention. The wires were reversed. When plugged into the stock harness ,the wires on the "new" headlights were opposite , the power from the harness went to the headlight "bucket" and the ground went to where the power should have been. They were not an exact fit so , there was a rubber boot around the "bucket" but after time the headlight "hole" that is stamped into the radiator support , wore through and was touching the bucket. I bent the hole away from the "bucket" ,cleaned some corrosion ,put some die electric grease on the terminals and swapped the wires. Took it for a good 20 minute test ride and so far so good. Will use it all day today with lights on to check. Thanks for all the help!

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope ,no such luck. Now my headlight switch is smoking after a half hour of driving. wtf ,unbelievable

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New or old headlight switch installed and the right blinker on the dash lights up and the little right blinker on the front corner of the grill barely lights up. What a nightmare....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you smoked something when the wire rubbed thru?

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A day and a half going back and forth to work , knock on wood.