Engine gasket/seals replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwi2112

Reaction score
My mechanic said I had a rear main seal leaking and a pan gasket. 2 years ago I had the pan gasket replaced when I had the transmission rebuilt. My old Hoe has 150k miles on it but I like it. Last summer I had the transfer case rebuilt. Shop wants to pull the motor and put all new seals and gaskets in the motor. Figure I'd go ahead and have the timing chain and oil pump replaced too while they had it out. They gave me an estimate of $1500 dollars to pull and seal it. For sale signs are only $4, you guys think this thing is worth socking more money into it with all these miles or should I cut and run?

Attachments

• 2000 Tahoe.jpg
    2000 Tahoe.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is their reason for wanting to reseal the entire engine? The oil pan and rear main are leaking so just do those and as far as I know you don't have to remove the engine to replace those gaskets/seals and can reseal the engine without pulling the entire engine. If you like the vehicle, meets your needs, is paid for and runs ok then why get rid of it?

rwi2112

Reaction score
I know they at least have to drop the transmission to do the rear main seal and jack the motor up off the motor mounts to get to the pan gasket. Their idea is when you fix one oil leak it will put more pressure on the next weakest gasket. Kind of the least path of resistance theory. That's just what he recommended to do it right.
Wife says dump some Lucas oil stop leak in it and just keep driving it. She is kind of tired of the oil in the drive way though.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech is correct. Just when you finish the 2 gaskets the next weak one will leak. It will not leak because the 2 were replaced, it will just be the next in line. Try the Lucas oil additive to try and stop leak. make her happy and then if still leaks you can make the decision. Make sure you use Fel Pro for all seals and gaskets. By the way, get some brake clean and spray the oil leaks on the driveway and then wash away. It does a fairly good job.

rwi2112

Reaction score
I told the wife if I got rid of it and got something else there's no guarantee that it won't need a transmission and transfer case rebuild. At least with the old Hoe I know what I've got. I'm not car poor but the Tahoe is my daily driver/ beater.

Attachments

• New Hood and Spoiler 001.jpg
    New Hood and Spoiler 001.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2014 Cruisin The Square, Trunk or Treat 011.jpg
    2014 Cruisin The Square, Trunk or Treat 011.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VTX1300C 8-13 001.jpg
    VTX1300C 8-13 001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you are ahead of the game. Take your time, think it out and come to a decision that you both can live with. As you told her, anytime you buy used you have no idea of ALL the history of the vehicle. You know what has been done now and what you are thinking of for the future of the rig. Especially if it is paid for and meets your needs then think it through and live with whatever decision you make.