Engine sounds as if starving for air?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
We just moved to AZ about 6 months ago and even prior to arriving here my engine sporadically sounded as if it was starving for air. I took it to the dealership prior to my trip and they said everything was A OK. The engine has only 40K, ran great up in MD (great on gas too) until it had an internal coolant leak, so I replaced it with crate engine from Jasper. Now the mpg are worse than with the older 120K engine and recently developed the sufocating sound.

So we ventured to Grand Canyon from Phoenix, and engine sounded what I now thought was normal (starving for air sound), but the next day I realized the car did not make that sound anymore and if felt like I had more power. Once we hit Phoenix the car went back to old starving sound. The only differnce was the temp.

Anyone have any ideas as to causes, plus what is the max temp reading for water temp and oil pressure. My idle reading for oil presure is 25+ and 40 when driving and the temp has always been at 210, but when stuck in traffic two days ago it went the 3/4 mark. Is it time for a new radiator , water pump or both?

Thanks to all.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its the radiator cooling fan turning on and off. It will do that on a hot day, especially if you're running the a/c....Whenever it gets like that for me the hoe sounds like its sucking air in like a jet engine and it pisses me off

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing as Hit and Run - especially with stop and go driving. After I get a bit of speed up it goes away. Arizona - hot -

yukonxl1500

Reaction score
What is everyone normal operating oil pressure at idle at normal operating temp? Mine is at 25 or so then it shoot up to 40 when driving, and is it ok fo temp to hit the 3/4 mark? It is 2001 5.3L and I do live in AZ where the temp get to 120+ daily.