Engine stalls in traffic after running for 30 mins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bennah07

Reaction score
Ok so this all started about 3 months ago. After driving home from Seattle I got stuck in the horrible Seattle traffic. After stopping and going for about 20 minutes my engine shut down and gave me the "service stabletrak, service traction control, engine power reduced." After about 10 minutes it started back up and drove home the rest of the way without any problems. Fast forward a few months and I have to avoid driving in any traffic or letting my engine idle in fast food drive thru's or anywhere I might sit for too long. Yesterday I cleaned my throttle body hoping that may be the issue. Accelerated in park a d few times getting up to about 2500 rpm and letting it go back down. It was idling around 500 rpm and eventually just died on me. After letting it sit for 10 minutes I started it up again with the hood up. I noticed there is some white smoke coming from under the second spark plug from the back on the passenger side, could be unrelated but I wanted to add it just in case. It finally popped an engine code this time which I will get checked later today. Before I take it into the garage and have my wallet assaulted I was hoping some of you guys can help.

Its a 2007 Chevy Tahoe lt with the 5.3. Thanks in advance for the help!

TeamTahoe

Reaction score
I have a similar but different issue.

How do I make a new post? I do not see a button for a new post.

TeamTahoe

Reaction score
2004 Tahoe LS 4.8 (it currently has 240,000 miles on it)

•The first time this happened was about 6 years ago. I had started my Tahoe and had driven about 10 miles. When I pulled up to a light, the engine Idled down to 200-300 rpm and then quit. After I restarted the engine, everything was fine. I took it to a dealer who said the battery cable was loose.

•The next time was several years later. Same thing. After driving for about 20 minutes on I-80 into Sacramento (it's a long downhill from Auburn, so, 15 miles or so at part throttle). When slowing to make the exit ramp, the engine idled down to very low rpm and tried to stall, then the engine quit. I pulled over and restarted the engine. It would idle erratically, and try to quit. I turned off the ignition and restarted. It seemed fine. I took it to the dealer and he cleaned the throttle body.

• The next time was another trip to Sacto. Same exact scenario. When slowing to make the exit ramp, the engine idled down to very low rpm and tried to stall. I added throttle while holding the brake. The engine would not idle correctly. Stopped at Costco for 30 minutes or so and when I restarted the engine, it was fine. I reasoned it was due to being about 1/4 tank of fuel.

• The next time I was driving up to NorCal from the Bakersfield area. Again, another long (30 minutes or so) of part throttle operation on Highway 99. As I slowed for traffic the engine began to stall. I pulled off the highway and the engine quit. I turned the key off and then restarted the engine. It was fine. I took it to the dealer and had them check the fuel pressure: it was normal.

• It happened again yesterday. Same trip to Sacto. Same exact scenario. The difference is, this is becoming more of an issue. It is happening about 10% of the time I drive the Tahoe.

-----------
I tried getting on the http://www.tahoeforum.com/ site and asking the same question but there is no way to create a new post.

-----------
I tried starting a new post on https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com and it won't let me.