Exhaust and Catalytic converter questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMatzemann

Reaction score
Hey Tahoeforum!

I have the feeling that my Catylitic converters are broken. I´m running my 2001 Tahoe LT as my Hobby, I just want to know how I could fix that nice and cheap. I would like to have a little more sound, but it shouldn`t cost as much as a full Cat-back system. Also I wonder what happens if I just cut the Cats out and replace them with a straight Pipe. I heard its gonna affect the fueleconomy in a bad way, but would it do anything good for the sound?
I kinda wanna have a sporty sound, not too loud and as cheap as possible :D I have no clue about trucks and not really about English, I moved to america 4 months ago..

Thanks for any Help,

TheMatzemann

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Removing the cats should really effect your mileage too much. They are a restrictive factor, but I would worry more about throwing codes or failing emissions tests if you are required to have them.

We have a direct fit catalytic converter replacement from Flowmaster. This is about the cheapest option you will have for properly replacing clogged/broken cats.
http://www.gotexhaust.com/i-14231482-flowmaster-2010019-direct-fit-catalytic-converter.html

From there if you want more sound/performance I would look at cat-back options or headers. If you don't want to spend a ton of money a muffler replacement would be your best option. Depending on the sound you are looking for we can help you with that. Feel free to send a PM or email us at [email protected]!

mattyserz

Reaction score
What did you end up doing? I'm thinking about deleting the Cats as well. I've read it's ok, it's not ok, the bad vs. good seems about to even out so just wondering what way you went.

mattyserz

Reaction score
I deleted my cats, welded pipe in, goes to a flowmaster super 40 and sounds absolutely sick. The stock pipe off the manifolds is 2.5, where cats were I used 2.75, obviously going to throw codes but thats fixable w/ anti foulers or a tune. Its loud and clean if you or a buddy are handy with a welder. I unbolted from exhaust and welded to make sure no leaks. Sounds stupid but it makes a difference if there is a leak. Especially inside cab, then again I am picky. Offroad purposes of course :)