Exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da 'hoe Rider

Reaction score
I have been told that the 5.3L in my tahoe would loose power if i put true duals on it. This makes no sense to me and i want some other people's opinion. I have a flowmaster 10 on it right now but its not true duals.

needhelp02tahoe

Reaction score
I don't see how you would lose power by improving your hoes exhaust system it will help your truck out a lot by getting all the spent exhaust out of the motor faster and smother in turn will allow u to take in more air faster thus more power

Da 'hoe Rider

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking also. But this is just what i have been told so i was wondering if anyone else had heard this

needhelp02tahoe

Reaction score
No whoever told you this is out of there mind if this is something u are thinking of doing I would do it for sure

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
only way it hurts in extreme cases will you lose horsepower those rice burners with way to big of an exhaust and nothing else done tothe engine yes you can lose 5hp or so what happens with to large of an exhaust and no extra air flowin the motor with the correct functions "exhaust valve opens there is a suction there to pull all that out of cylinder head and out the end of the pipe with an extrememly over sized exhaust that suction isnt nearly as strong and your cylinder gets pollutied with exhaust particles
okay here is the thing with exhausts
auto tech school basics a large aftermarket exhaust has literally no affect on the engine and to large the engine will lose horsepower
thats if this is the only upgrade the term is called "volumetric efficiency " this is what your attempting in increase if you put a large exhaust onyer engine tru duals or the split deal is irrelavant you must increase the amount of air flow into the motor there are several way to accomplish this. so increased airflow and larger exhaust will increase the engines volumetric efficiency . Larger throttle body, some sort of after market high flow cool air intake ,high flow air filter larger intake manifold . cam with higher lobe life at duration preferably roller cam and not a flat tappet
anything increase the amount of air that goes in the engine helps dont forget to headers also makes a difference to

Last edited:

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
yeah pretty much day 1 in school basic engine class once we got to exhausts teacher said whos got a honda or some japanese 4 cylinderwith a large exhaust raise there hand one they raised there hand he asked who thinks its increasing there HP he picked one car we went and dynod it and it was 10 hp less then it was rated for the car was fairly new and well maintained so most of that hp loss was from the huge coffee can exhuast he had one of those high speed intake deals but they way it was installed it was more like a hot air intake

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
basically if the engine isnt sucking in more air then what it normally does stock
theres no reason to allow more room for it to go out the back more air in needs more room go out

Da 'hoe Rider

Reaction score
hmm. ok thanks, ive never really thought about that either. The more air going in the more air that has to go out.... cool. thanks

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
yeah theres a whole section in my text book from automotive school
if anyones interested i can probably scan the pages and upload them
id check out on the net first to see if someones hasnt already copied and uploaded the Gilles automotive service 3rd edition
this is a good book to have anyways

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
now my question is anyone know if there is an difference in tru duals or and y pipes
becuase i googled tru duals vs y pipe and all the responses from all the forums show up and everyone mostly stuck on that myth "big exhaust give you more horsepower" i mean cmon sometimes when i google stuff i tend to think id be better off asking my dog

Last edited:

StiGuy

Reaction score
You will lose alot of back pressure. Ive done tons of true duals on the 5.3ls. I myself decided to make my old 2001 1500 true duals and i switched right back to a single 3" mid pipe to a single dual muffler and noticed a huge difference.