Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockman20

Reaction score
With tax season approaching, I am playing around with the idea of an exhaust upgrade on my 2004 GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3L.

I had a set of 40 series flowmasters on an old Scottsdale I had and I absolutely LOVED that sound. And if I ever buy another old 80's Chevy/GMC truck to play with, I am going that route again.

I do like the aggessive sound, but this is a family vehicle. Hauls 3 boys, the girlfriend, and my butt. Mainly highway trips. So cabin noise is a definite issue for me. But I still want a mean sound.

I had a 93 K3500 Dually with the 454 under the hood and that had a Magnaflow muffler. What series, I have no idea. It was on the truck when I got it. That was nice. Decent rumble, but not annoying when under power or on the highway.

For the Yukon though, I think I would like to stick with Flowmaster. (Unless someone else talks me out of it.) I have it narrowed down to either the 17341 Force II or the 17342 American Thunder.

I know that the 17342 will be louder, but is it going to be annoying at highway speeds in the cabin? If it is, then I will go with the 17341. I like the 17342 dual exit though. From the instructions, it looks like this exits right out the back? Not sure that I like that too much. I like the side exits personally on a truck. But I can always have this modified if I want. I have a local shop that has done some custom stuff for me and they would be more then happy to modify the 17342 to exit out the sides if it doesn't already.

So what have others gone with? I am looking at just CAT back for now. Maybe some day down the road I will upgrade headers and such, but for now, just CAT back. Maybe I am just missing the growl? Right now I like the grumble the stock has at an idle, but I want more. Just not quite like my 69 Cutlass. Headers, 3" in and out glasspacks, neck down to 2.5" to get over the rear axle, and dump right out behind the rear bumper. HOLY COW does that dog have a bark! I just want a gentle, but firm growl out of my Yukon.

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like you have your mind made up already, delete thread LOL!

rockman20

Reaction score
I was hoping that there may be more people on here that have done the Flowmaster route. Both kits and what they feel about them. Or any other kit they have tried.

I would love the American Thunder, but I fear the cab noise will make me unhappy after a while. This being a family vehicle, I need to also keep the girlfriend happy or else I will be buying a louder set of mufflers to drone out the cabin drone! :cuss:

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...i cant help you with flowmaster.
but my magnaflow is really quiet in the cabin. but once you get on it she growls!
really deep when crusing. really really deep and loud when you hit it.

rockman20

Reaction score
...i cant help you with flowmaster.
but my magnaflow is really quiet in the cabin. but once you get on it she growls!
really deep when crusing. really really deep and loud when you hit it.

My dually had Magnaflow on it also and I did like that tone also. Looks like there is one kit for the 04 Yukon on their site. Little higher price, but stainless and lifetime warranty...........I will add this to my list of possible kits.

Thanks for the info!

sasquatch

Reaction score
i put a flowmaster american thunder catback on my 05 yukon a few months ago. i think it was part number 17419, it has the dual side outlets.

i have almost no highway drone and it`s not too loud at any rpm inside. but when you put your foot down you know it.

it was also easy to install.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Flowmaster 50 suv series with duels its nice and mellow and at highway speeds its real nice not to loud no drone,but when I step on it you can hear it and its a real sound.

rockman20

Reaction score
17342 appears to not fit the Yukon XL according to Flowmaster's website. Summitracing claims it does fit. I am thinking I would trust the manufacture before third party.

17341 does fit according to Flowmaster.

17419 doesn't specify if it fits the XL or not.

The magnaflow is a possability. Just need to decide if the extra $100 is worth the stainless. Otherwise it may just boil down to the Force II.

Thanks for all the input. Now I just need W2's, 1099's, etc so I can get my taxes going and see how much I can spend. I have plans of throwing some money at my 69 Cutlass as well this year so we will see.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow on my 03 Tahoe here and love it. Similar boat here wife and three kids with this being a daily driver and family vehicle. No real noted drone at highway speeds after it breaks in (during break in you get a drone between 70-75mph with my experience) but when you step on it you hear it. Initially wifey thought it was loud but once the muffler got broken in the sound mellowed a little (so did she :rolleyes:). Now she hardley notices it, plus it's fun to have my three year-old going around to her friends saying that "daddy's truck goes VROOM, VROOM" while having it not be obnoxious and still family friendly.

rockman20

Reaction score
Magnaflow on my 03 Tahoe here and love it. Similar boat here wife and three kids with this being a daily driver and family vehicle. No real noted drone at highway speeds after it breaks in (during break in you get a drone between 70-75mph with my experience) but when you step on it you hear it. Initially wifey thought it was loud but once the muffler got broken in the sound mellowed a little (so did she :rolleyes:). Now she hardley notices it, plus it's fun to have my three year-old going around to her friends saying that "daddy's truck goes VROOM, VROOM" while having it not be obnoxious and still family friendly.

:smilielol: The boys and my nephew's love my Cutlass. They always want me to "GO FAST" when I give them rides. And that car lets you know it is there. It is just a little bit quieter then open headers. The kids love it when I nail the gas and the rocket under the hood barks.