Exhaust System or Just Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The muffler I was referring to is Magnaflow part #14586

DRTYH0

Reaction score
I plan on buying a magnaflow muffler and installing it. If I buy the single in single out would that be ok..Does anyone know what this sounds like and will it make a difference. Pretty much my truck will be stock looking Im only replacing the muffler no tips or anything...

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on buying a magnaflow muffler and installing it. If I buy the single in single out would that be ok..Does anyone know what this sounds like and will it make a difference. Pretty much my truck will be stock looking Im only replacing the muffler no tips or anything...

Yes, you want a center-in, off-set out..... it will give it a nice grumble as well as a lower-tone. The magnaflow is one of the more quiet mufflers. The one that fits the best is the 22". :thumbsup:

diffrnt

Reaction score
Just to add my two cents, I went with a 14†Magnaflow muffler which would give me a louder growl :thumbsup: I ordered the muffler and two 4†tips from Summit and had the muffler shop fab up the two exiting pipes with the tips coming out behind the tires. Everything including installation was right around $300.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock piping is 2 3/4"..just 2 days ago i swapped the stock muff for a 14" magnaflow..sounds great..only cost me $50 to get it put in..everything else is stock in the exhaust system for now..more then enough..I can get some pics of it if you want..

The stock muff is single in/dual out, but the 2nd outlet goes straight back into the tail pipe..kinda goofy..so a single/single works great..just get it center/offset and it lines up perfect

Heres a video..I noticed better throttle response and more power..it will squeal the tires now compared to before when it wouldnt..cant wait for the BB tune today

Last edited:

DRTYH0

Reaction score
I appreciate the input guys! I called the muffler shop and they quoted me $145.00 for muffler and installation. Thats for the single in single out....

Davco

Reaction score
stock piping is 2 3/4"..just 2 days ago i swapped the stock muff for a 14" magnaflow..sounds great..only cost me $50 to get it put in..everything else is stock in the exhaust system for now..more then enough..I can get some pics of it if you want..

The stock muff is single in/dual out, but the 2nd outlet goes straight back into the tail pipe..kinda goofy..so a single/single works great..just get it center/offset and it lines up perfect

Heres a video..I noticed better throttle response and more power..it will squeal the tires now compared to before when it wouldnt..cant wait for the BB tune today

I like that sound! My question is this: How does it sound on the inside of the truck? I want something that will not cause a huge increase inside....I also want to avoid a drone.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting... what year / motor is yours? My stock piping was 3"... Mine's an '03 w/ 5.3l

I'm sure you like it, but... I'm not a fan of the way yours sounds... it's too bubbly... I've been tossing around the idea of getting my camera out to show what it sounds like... 'cause mine sounds MUCH different.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It a 2000 5.3..That video made it sound diff. then it is..heres a clip of it driving..the GF didnt really get on it though

That definitely sounds better than the first one... but for me it was too loud, IMO... here's mine... (best if heard with headphones / good speakers)

Startup / Rev...

Light throttle take-off then heavy throttle take-off in-car...

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to listen to it a little later..i really didnt know what it sounded like until i heard it today..from inside i can hardly tell theres exhaust..if you stepped it up to a 18" magnaflow im sure it would quite it down a bit

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to listen to it a little later..i really didnt know what it sounded like until i heard it today..from inside i can hardly tell theres exhaust..if you stepped it up to a 18" magnaflow im sure it would quite it down a bit

That's a 22"... it should be the most quiet. :thumbsup: I think yours sounds pretty bubbly... but mine was in the garage, and you mostly hear the fan... 'cause it was a semi-cold start.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^I couldn't hardly hear it from the inside. Thats nice.

Yeah, it's pretty nice... it's odd, though... sometimes it's quiet like that... other times it's louder... like today I was on the freeway doin' about 70, and it was droning a little...