Experienced Opinion Needed..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBrewer

Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe LS, 5.7L, with 183K miles. The idle is rough only at a stand still, otherwise runs smooth at all speeds. Code check provided P0300 Random Misfire. Ran multiple Sea Foam bottles to clean injectors, removed/ cleaned throttle body, replaced EGR valve, changed plugs/ wires, fuel pump works fine. Took it to my trusted shop, who informed me that it seems to be a burnt valve. Aparently this requires the heads to be redone. Should I invest in a valve/ head job, or replace the motor? Thanks for your experienced opinions.

thedriza

Reaction score
there are other issues I would rule out first, injector, distributor gear etc.

MBrewer

Reaction score
Thanks for your recommendations. I have read alot about the spider injector being an issue with this model. I will check those items first.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes injectors would be your problem at 183k heads would not be a problem your shop is full of it, BTW if you do replace injectors don't get them at autozone (they have the spider one's still) get them from the dealer or off e-bay.

MBrewer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will look into this as a next step.

MBrewer

Reaction score
Found problem

The issue ended up being a bad fuel pressure regulator and a bad injector poppet feeding cylinder 5. Cost me $340 total parts and labor. Other shop wanted $1400 to redo the heads due thinking it was a burnt valve. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.