Fair Price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
I just talked to a guy about his 1995 Tahoe that he's selling and..
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1016826046.html

So the nice wheels, loaded, leather..
The new engine is "just" the old 350 TBI, it has 10,000 miles on it and a 100,000 mile warranty. The tranny has 170,000 miles on it.
It has one or two really small, hardly noticeable dings.
So is 4700-5000 a fair price? He's asking that much cus he spend 3000 ish on the new engine.

And this question is more technical but I'll go ahead and ask.
It may have the old TBI, but if I stuck some vortec cylinder heads on it..they should just bolt on, correct? And bring somewhat substantial power gains?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a pretty good truck for that price.. hows the cond of the drivers seat? who rebuilt that motor?

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
On a scale of 3-5 I'd say the driver seat is a 3 or so. You can tell it's worn but there's no tears or anything.
I'm not sure who rebuilt it but I know Jasper has a 100,000 mile warranty, so possibly them. Can't tell you for sure though.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
I should've mentioned before that the tires only have a few more months left in them. And they're about $200 each. I don't wanna pay $4500 for something then put $800 in tires on it. But I'm probably just being a tightwad.

Sport99

Reaction score
I hate to be devils advocate, but can he prove the "new engine"? Often times people pick up junk yard motors, and say they bought "new" motors. Ask him if he has paper work for the crate motor.. Make sure that 100,000 mile warranty is transferable as well...

$5,000 is the high end of the spectrum for 2dr's. Even with the nice wheels, and the color, I'd offer less or hold out for a different one. I've seen Yukon Gt's and Tahoe sports in awesome condition sell for less.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
I was really nervous about the engine as well, but it's transferable and he has the paperwork.
And 5000 is just about the least I've seen for a 2 door around me, which really blows. And we talked and he'll only go down to 4700ish.

I'll probably keep looking, I really want a Vortec anyways! 55 more hp and a little better mileage.

Sport99

Reaction score
^^ I guess up here in the Northeast there are plenty for sale.... If you bring $4,000 or $4,500 in cash he might break. Often times when people see cash in front of them they have a little more room to bargain..

At that price it won't be sold over night. Keep on looking for a bit, you never know what might come up.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A brand new (not rebuilt) GM performance crate engine for these things are $1800.00 with full GM factory warranty. Why anyone would pay THAT much for a rebuilt SBC is beyond me.

My 95 didn't cost me a nickle from the dealer I got it from, but wholsale to wholesale value, I'd say it "cost" me $1900.00 for my truck.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
I was wondering that too. He described it as "out of the crate" so I thought it was the modified Vortec "Ramjet" or something like that. Not some rebuilt old TBI.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the GM $1,800 crate also comes with no intake, no throttle body, and no accessory pullies as far as I know, plus there are a few other things that need to be purchased prior to installation (like new parts that are often times not reusable, plus fuilds). He may have had a shop install the engine for him too, which will add to the price of the new engine for him. $3,000 seems believable.

I would say $5,000 is a bit much. New engine or not. Some people think these trucks are worth a lot more than they are. I almost had my hands on a 2000 Tahoe limited a couple weeks ago for only $3600 with only 104,000 miles on it. I would say look around. I mean, look outside of your area. If you find something you really like, sometimes it's worth driving a one or two hundred miles to get it. Also, in order to get Vortec heads on a TBI engine, you would need the Vortec TBI intake manifold as well, which is like $230 something like that. Or you could look around for those custom Vortec heads with the standard bolt thread orientation on them.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
Yeah, if I look long enough the perfect one will come up. I saw one just last weekend and I went over to the dealership Monday night and it was already sold by then, so I better pounce on them quick.

And driving one or two hours is ok with me, I've been checking OKC classifieds and such..but everything real good is 4 or 5 hours away down in Texas. But they lose their value so fast, I'm bound to find something cheap.

Tigg

Reaction score
Try autotrader.com
I drove 2400 miles for my Tahoe, bought it sight unseen.
Driving the whole way I kept saying to myself "I cant believe I'm doing this, I cant believe I'm doing this, I cant believe I'm doing this, I cant believe I'm doing this".
In the end, it was worth it.

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
I look at everything. Autotrader, Craigslist, etc..I do about 100 mile radius search.
Is it worth driving that far? After gas and stuff I'm not sure if I would.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are only willing to go 100 miles? We drove almost 400 1 way to get the suburban we bought

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
Eh..possibly 200 or so. I guess I'm not that desperate yet.

EDIT:The cheapest two door within 300 miles is 5900..What junk is that?

Last edited:

Fleeingpepper

Reaction score
It does look nice, but I'm being really picky about it. I want a Vortec. I've driven the 350 TBI and the Vortec and I really like the Vortec that much more. So 96-99 is what I'm searching for. I guess I should've added that when I said the cheapest one was only 5900.