Finally Caught on Video. Hi Beam Scrambler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys know I have been struggling with an intermittent functionality with my hi beams for about 2 years now. I think I have replaced everything in the whole system except the DRL Module and the diode assembly under the dash.
It was so hard for me to explain to people exactly what made it occur, as it just sort of happened randomly.
Well, no more. I finally caught it with my phone and here it is.

I'm sitting at the end of the driveway, about to leave for work and it starts. Just my regular lights are on at this point. as you can see the DRLs flash and my lights dim/pulse slightly.
Then I hit the hi beams and you can see they flash in conjunction with the DRL light. Out front, I look like I have the police wig-wags on... both regular and hi beams are flashtacular. (this doesn't show up in the video well, but it was happening.

I'm hoping to get some closure on this issue since I was finally able to catch it on video.
Please let me know if you have questions about it, and your thoughts.
Pete

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the Hi-beam switch in the steering column? it looks like that may be malfunctioning

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlight switch on dash bad? Can you cycle it on and off a few times and make it go away for a while?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DRL module behind left side of dash? Ground nearby for said module?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the multi switch already.

The headlight switch on the dash seems to be functioning normally. Actuating that switch while the blinky-blink is happening changes nothing.
I checked the DRL module and it seems OK. The attached relay is clean and shows no signs of heating up/ nothing unusual there. I will check the ground for that module. That is something I have not checked.

grrrr. I cant wait to get a new tahoe or yukon... one of these years.

I guess I just have to start replacing these things one at a time to see if it goes away.

Clhgt24

Reaction score
My '96 Camaro did a similar thing for a while, but it quit after I changed the alternator. Apparently it was producing too much juice and made everything kinda go nuts. I wonder if you're having a similar electrical issue.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats an interesting point about the alternator. I have been paying such close attention to when this happens I try to notice everything about what Im doing, the weather, and what the vehicle is doing while this happens.
It almost always happens when Im coming off the throttle and only the engine is slowing the vehicle.
My radio will pop on and off randomly.
My wipers will act erratically.
Happens more in the rain or when its humid...
and none of this stuff happens at the same time. ie. I wont get blinky-blink AND radio at the same time..