First problem with my new Tahoe. Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRose

Reaction score
So I got my new to me 1997 Tahoe LT finally registered and legal in my name. Took her out today and, well ran out of gas. The fuel gauge is on 3/4 tank so seems I have a problem.

Are these truck notorious for an issue with the gauge or sending unit? My buddy came and rescued me with a gas can. I went to the nearest station and filled her up. Gauge is still on 3/4 however while driving the gauge started rapidly jumping back and forth for a few seconds then went right back to 3/4.

I don't mind fixing it just wondering where you guys think I should start. Also for the time being I'm gonna go by mileage. I filled the tank so next fill up I'll figure up what kinda mileage I'm getting but can yall give me a close idea of the trucks mpg so I can get a good readout? I think they are all the same but just in case it's the Vortec 5.7. Thanks a bunch.

Wayne67vert

Reaction score
Mine gets around 15 mpg all around driving. Probably 19 on the hwy.
I had the same problem with the fuel gauge. I changed the sending unit and fuel pump. The gauge still reads funny, shows empty when it has 10 gallons in it. i use the trip meter to know when to fill the tank.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can bend the arm on the float to adjust the empty position. OP, your sender is probably bad, you can usually get a new one instead of the pump assembly....

TRose

Reaction score
Yea the sender was the first thing I planned on replacing. I guess I should of done it before putting 30 gallons of fuel in the tank. I'll drive this truck maybe once every 2 weeks so might take a while to get the tank a bit lighter.

After I do the sender I've also read up that there originally is oil in the actual gauge itself that seeps out over the years. A lot of guys inject new oil in the gauge and that stops the needle spazzing out thing, but aside from that problem my gauge just doesn't read correctly at all so hopefully the sender will fix at least one problem.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a silicone dampning grease that does leak out. You can replace it with a syringe and a fork if you are careful, don't even need to remove from dash. My 98 vibrates, it is annoying, but not wholly inaccurate.....

TRose

Reaction score
I plan on replacing the sending unit however for the life of me I can't find a sending unit for a 4 door. Everything I'm finding specifically says 2 door. Any idea what the difference is?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so.... Check the part numbers for the pump assembly.... if the pump is the same for 2 door and 4 door then it should be the same also...