Fit 285 70R 17 on stock '09 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastbal25

Reaction score
I have a '09 Tahoe LT and would like to install 285 70R 17 BFG A/Ts without modifications. I've heard mixed things searching for hours online.... won't fit/will fit, won't rub/will rub, do/don't need leveling kit....and so on. Can I get away with the larger tire without mod or will I have to go with a 1.5" front leveling kit or bigger? The smaller the leveling kit the better if needed, still want the stock ride and don't want to overstress the joints/shocks. I had a '07 Silverado 1500 Z71 and installed 285s with no problems or rubbing, keeping everything stock... not sure if this is similar. I've checked with some tire vendors but they don't help, seems they're just interested in selling no matter what the size.

I would rather not go with one but if I do have to install a front leveling kit, what are the downfalls? Is the gain in aggressive tires and look worth the risk of decreased performance and possible damage to the vehicle? Does installing a leveling kit void the warranty? Also if I do install a kit, do I need new, longer shocks even though the vehicle is only 4 years old and the shocks still have good travel? A lot of questions but any suggestions would be great. Thanks. :happy160:

Lowufo

Reaction score
I am going through the same thing right now but the tire shop has agreed to order in both sizes and mount one of each size and see if they rub. They are certain the 285's will rub and it will also throw off speedo around 5% I think in the end I will be going stock size of 265 70/17