fluids for 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fpchief

Reaction score
Sorry for all my questions. Is regular Dino oil 5w-30 good to go or is swapping to full synthetic ok at 84k?

WIFESLTZ

Reaction score
Full synthetic oil, especially a high quality one like Mobil 1, will typically always give better protection. They have much more resistance to viscosity breakdown between changes and usually help motors run a tad bit cooler. I've usually run synthetic in my 07 Tahoe and with 151,000 miles on the clock, I have not had a single mechanical issue. Hope to get another 150K out of it.

To answer your question, you can switch to synthetic at any point. I usually look around at the different parts stores. Someone ALWAYS has a full synthetic + filter special going on for usually less than $35 or so. You just usually have to buy that extra 6th quart. What I do is buy the Mobil 1 oil and filter special and then buy the store brand synthetic as that extra 6th quart.