? for you up north guys!!! those with SNOW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in southwest Missouri and we just got a inch of ice and 5 inches of snow dumped on us Tuesday night so my question is this.

We are now in the melting period so everything is nasty what do you guys do to keep the salt and senders from eating your truck and wheels up anything you put on it chemical wise or just keep it rinsed off what?

know snow is not new to me i have just always rinsed my truck off every day or so but that just gets old. i figured with you up north guys that deal with this all the time you had something better

Boost you better chime in here i know your in Colorado and this has to be a problem up there

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
In the past, I have always swapped out the custom wheels back to the stockers, so I would'nt have to worry about the finish.

What I have heard some people do is coat the face of the wheel and inner barrel with a product similar to WD-40. That is provided you have chrome finish. If you have a polished wheel, dont know what to tell you other than I hope your elbows are lubed by the time spring comes around, lol.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash my truck 3 times a week, park in a garage, detailed once a month, powdercoated wheels. The magnesium chloride really fvcks things up out here which is why I'm not buying anything bigger than 20's unless they're powdercoated.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks boost i figured washing was all that could be done thanks for chime n in i wasnt thinking about your wheels being powdered

hitandrun, No s$&% (what an answer ^^^)

anyway does any body else have anything on this ?

Sorry did not mean to sound like a D#$%

Last edited:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im with boost on this one, I have to park on the street and my trucks covered after a week. I just spray it down whenever its not freezing here. Havent used WD40 yet but probably should. I was also thinking of spraying the under side of the truck with some kind of truck bed liner. Havent looked into that much though

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im with boost on this one, I have to park on the street and my trucks covered after a week. I just spray it down whenever its not freezing here. Havent used WD40 yet but probably should. I was also thinking of spraying the under side of the truck with some kind of truck bed liner. Havent looked into that much though
x3 we don't get much snow here in NC. but when we do i just spray it off daily.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the cash Sepiroth is right, have a summer set of rims and a winter set. If you can’t afford two sets, just take them down to the car wash and spray them off. The salt isn’t like acid, it doesn’t etch on contact. I’m sure someone will say it does but if it does it would be such a miniscule amount that it would take a lifetime of driving for it to make a difference with frequent washing. I had a set of black and chrome modulars on a Camaro I use to drive. I used WD-40 to polish them. Shined them up and left a protective coat behind. I had two sets of tires then so they never saw the salt and snow, but I had them over ten years and they didn’t have a speck of rust on them. For other types of rims I’ve just been told that a good coat of wax is the best you can do. I think if you keep them rinsed off you shouldn’t have much problem

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salt is a never ending looseing battle. Washing as often as possible. Spray lines/engine with WD-40. I have been trying some Marine Spray stuff. Kinda goes on yellow and semi sticky trying to cut down on the rust damage. Seems to be working very well.
On note if any of the area's use any form of Liquid decicer it must be scrubbed off. It does wash off like normal Salt.

John

Mendez33

Reaction score
Up here in Michigan, most people have two sets of rims. So rims aren't too much of an issue. As far as keeping the salt off of the ride. I always use the drive through (automated) car wash. When the temps are in the teens, the last thing I want to be doing is standing in a carwash bay spraying down the truck.