From beater to keeper (my 98 2dr progress) Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawstly

Site Admin
Reaction score
I bought this last year and have been working on it to "make it mine". It has no lift kit on it. Only raised the front with the torsion bars a bit and did some light trimming on the bumper and inner fender well.

The wheels are Fuel Hostages, 22x11 w -14 offset. On Toyo MT 33x12.5x22 tires. I really like the look.

Now I just need some good bumpers and grill guard and I will be set.

What do you guys think? :happy160:

Original wheels wrere 285x85x17 i think not sure but I know they were 285x17s (33") on factory suspension.

I repainted the grill guard dark gray and painted the logo a stone fleck dark gray. It looks like a stone. You cant tell in the pic as it looks to be the same color but it looks pretty cool.

I replaced all the lights with a clear lens w black background light kit that has a halo for the day time running lights. Replaced the yellow turn signals with clear lens with black background. Replaced the side markers with clear lens with black background as well. I really like this look. It looks very clean to me.

Now I just need to find a good bumper and grill guard. If you have any tips let me know.

Rain guards on the windows, and bug guard on the hood.
Replaced the entire console with a new one with new cup holders. They were worn out and broken.
Put in Lund Catch All mats covering the entire front of the floor. They look nice and factory. They match the original carpet color and look close to factory. Same in the rear. I will eventually replace all of the carpet in time. Its got some stains that wont come out.
Driver door panel replaced. It was cracked.
Dash cover put on the dash to keep it from getting anymore sun damage.

Whats left to do is:
New radio & speakers
Bumpers and grill guard
New updated rear axle with auto locking diff w rear disc brakes
(next year tax return)
Going to do a LS 6.2L escalade engine swap (long block + PCM) with an upgraded torque cam (not sure on the lift yet), will probably do some head work and intake work to match the new head intake ports. I might do LS6 heads.
YellaTerra 1.8 roller rockers on the heads
New Precision Industries 2800 rpm 3 disc stall converter in the trans w WOT lockup
LT Headers and dual 3" exhaust
Upgrade the intake (not sure which way I will go with this yet or which brand)

!Progress Front.jpg
!Progress Side.jpg
20130725_175549.jpg
20130725_175632.jpg

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not fond of the tires/ wheels, nice rig tho. Is it 4x4 or 2x4? Keep updated.....

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stains that won't come out could be fixed with a simple can of blue magic. I have a 2dr Tahoe with the medium grey which is pretty light It had some stains where the dash cup holders failed at their only job, came right up. I have used this stuff for years and never had a stain that wouldn't come out. Inhale can spray area, take a rough rag or brush clean stain then wipe up with a clean rag... Now my carpet looks like new.

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Hawstly, did you say you replaced the console? Center console? Factory console or some aftermarket? I have a real love/hate relationship with my stock `99 center console and am looking for options...

rnhart3

Reaction score
Long as you are happy, I don't care for the larger tires/wheels, or the headlights and clear side lights...nice and clean the way the General made it is my preference

HoweMan

Reaction score
i like the fact that you are making it yours. i like it w/out the lift, but that is me. mine still has the stock stance, and I am not sure what I want to do with the stance yet. I almost think i want to lower it. i just put some general grabbers on it, stock size. I really like those tires. i still have the stock 17" rims, these will be my winter tires. oh, I have a 2004 tahoe, black. de-fendered, de-badged, removed side trim. mass air intake, flowmaster exhaust. black bear tune. that's it so far! keep the pics coming, everyone loves to look at them, even tho they may not comment!

Tacobender24

Reaction score
like everything but the rim size. personally for me i like the look of 17 or 18 inch rims. anything above that just looks "redneck-ghetto" to me unless theres a large lift and large tires like 35's or bigger but to each is own. you pulled it off so as long as you're happy with it. looks great

rrd766

Reaction score
That HOE lookin good bro! soon enough I gotta get mine on here too, your title went with my hoe haha! went from beater to keeper got a 99 4dr 4x4

Gettup70

Reaction score
rim and tires look dam good!!!!!!!!! i have a 99 4door 4x4 i think ill do the same combo:cool:

lwcools

Reaction score
looks awesome... how does the wheel/tire upgrade drive? looking at doing a similar stance with KMC Brodie 20x9 and some 285/55/20 nitto terrra graps.