Funny electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcadamshound

Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe LT recently I have trouble trying to start it. when i turn the key nothing happens, the lights all come on but the starter doesnt turn.

Now here is the confusing part, If i keep the key turned while i step on the brake, it starts. it seems to be worse when It has been running for awhile and i try to restart it while it is hot. It has been doing it now for like 4 months. It doesnt do it all the time but i would say something like 40% of the time. several times i have had to give the brake pedal a stomp to get it to start.

I dont want to spend 100 dollars just to get it diagnosed. It has a automatic car starter installed, which will not start it when the standard ignition doesnt work. like i said, most of the time it starts right up without touching the brake. but every once in awhile i have this problem

If anyone has heard of this problem before or has any suggestions please let me know and thanks so much in advance

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on another vehicle and found out the nuetral detent switch was loose. I found it when I was in the column tracing wires. The vehicle thought it wasn't in park so had disabled the starter. It's a place for you to start at least.
Regards
Tom G.

madspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a similiar issue. I disconnected the battery cables and cleaned up the terminals real good. Also cleaned up all the ground cables in the engine bay and this hasn't happened since!! Also, there is a 175amp fuse block mounted to the fan shroud that was somewhat corroded, tore it apart and cleaned it up too. So far so good