Gas gauge has mind of its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

georgiawj

Reaction score
Well yesterday and today when i got in the tahoe (after it was sitting all night) it would say i have no gas left in the tank. If i turn it off and back on then it goes back to where it should be for a few minutes, but as im driving down the road everytime i look down its in a different spot (and i dont mean it moves a little i mean like i look down its on 3/4 then a minute later its below 1/4...

Anybody have this happen to them?

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a loose ground wire to me....honestly I haven't owed a chevy that hasn't had gas gauge problems

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like a loose ground wire from the sending unit...any of the other gauges doing anything wacky, or just fuel? If it's just fuel like you say, have them check the sending unit wiring...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it will just stay on full so you never have to stop for gas... just playin! I agree though that it's probably a wire or it's connnection; I don't believe that a bad guage or sending unit would make it read wrong in that manner.

garyo

Reaction score
I have a 2008 LTZ and its been in the shop 3 times for the same problem and still isn't fixed. They replaced the sending unit and it still does it. My problem occurs at 1/4 tank going down a hill. It will go to empty and the low fuel alarm will come on. Good luck and if you ever get a fix let us know!!!!

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you happen to put on your display (in the car) how many miles you had left on the tank to see if they both were shooting craps, or is it just happening to the fuel gauge itself?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you happen to put on your display (in the car) how many miles you had left on the tank to see if they both were shooting craps, or is it just happening to the fuel gauge itself?

Good point toward narrowing it down.

lawrencesor

Reaction score
my truck when going downhill with a 1/4 tank left it will say fuel level low then the light will turn on. then if i level out or start going uphill the tank will show 1/4 tank again and the fuel light will turn off. should i bring it in or is this normal for tahoes. It's always been like this since i bought it in oct 07. i got it brand new.

georgiawj

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long...

I did change it to the "miles to empty" and it changes with the gas gauge.

The reason i noticed the gauge moving is cause it will go all the way to empty and the nav will ask to display gas stations and that
stays on the screen long enough for me to notice..

I filled up last night again and the gas station was level but when the pump clicked (and i continued to force as much in as possible)
i started the truck and it was still below full... by the time i got home (4-5 miles) it had moved down to half a tank, but this morning i got in and it was on full???

on another note the instant mpg and average mpg are still accurate as far as i can tell. im guessing these are measured at the engine some how?

georgiawj

Reaction score
Well I took the tahoe into the dealer yesterday and they said that the sending unit in the tank is faulty.
They also said they havent had any problems with the 08's and that they dont have any replacement sending units. They are putting a "stop order" (something like that) and taking one off the assembly line so im just waiting to hear back from them when they get it...

A little update

On the way there the check engine light came on and now the gauge just sits on empty randomly setting the low fuel chime off every minute or so. Im guessing this is how they determined the problem, but he said he checked the wiring and the gauge cluster and they were working fine.

now im just spending my time topping off my tank ($25 at a time) and listening to the chime noise everywhere i drive.....

Also since the engine light is on the remote start is disabled now. The reason i noticed is because now i have to hold the key when starting like a normal car.. Not a big problem just annoying cause i keep forgetting and let go of the key early.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its standard to tell customers that " WE HAVE NO OTHER REPORTS OF THIS" when they know darn well they do.

KennyB22

Reaction score
I have never had this problem with my tahoe, but I have a spare 2000 2500 hd pick-up I use for different things I can't use my tahoe for and the pick-up does this, not all the time, about 75% of the time. I have been very lazy to see what the problem is, so thank you. Is this something I would be able to do at home? I am not good with mechanics at all, but my brothers are, all I can do is change oil, filter etc.....or should I just bring it to the dealer?