Gas Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nobody

Reaction score
Hi There, I've got a 1999 Chevy Tahoe that has a fluttering gas gauge.

It starts off going back and forth, and doesn't register the proper fuel level at all.

Right now I've been going strictly by mileage and refilling the tank as it gets low.

What should I check on it?

Thanks!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauge is bad. The Motor has lost its dampening fluid and flutters, worse at certain points better at others. This is all due to the fact that the gauge is not directly hooked to the tank. The tank sender goes to the PCM, then the PCM modulates the signal to the gauge (at too low of a frequency, thus the flutter when gauge is dry).

The motors you see on Ebay are not the right one for the dash, and pretty much the solution would be to live with it, or refill the gauge.

Nobody

Reaction score
Interesting, how does one go about refilling the gauge? Have to tear the dash apart to do it, or is it somewhere else?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an article on it, I found it on google one time, got the syringe, didn't get around to the silicone they said to use, mine still fluctuates I don't drive it much.

The dash frame comes off and in the video you pull 4 screws out of the outer clear plastic cover, pry the needle off with a fork, and refill with the syringe. Try a google search, also keep in mind there will be people trying to sell you a stepper motor to replace the one in your dash, it is not a stepper..... it is a linear motor. Good luck.