GMT900 Backup / Reverse Lights - LEDs or HID?

What type of reverse lights do you run?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterchicken

Reaction score
backup/night/trailers

Anything that helps at night is awesome. Backing up to trailers in the daylight, EASY. Backing up to trailers at night by yourself, with those dark tinted windows, crap shoot. And I can't just hook it up the day before since we usually load all the guns ammo and decoys in the boat ahead of time so I like to have the boat safely in the garage.

If you guys haven't caught on, your rides are all going to look a lot nicer then my tahoe I'm guessing, I spend WAY too much time chasing animals in crappy places! I'm already waiting on the camo seat covers, cargo liner etc...

thanks for the info guys.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LaredoTexas,

I plan on getting the same set up as you have with the HID's. Also plan on getting the GN3 tail lights in Jan. Do you mind posting pictures of where you have your ballasts mounted (front and rear)? Also pictures of the connections? Thanks in advance.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont have pictures anymore.. got new computer.. but its very simple to install, once you start installing them you will find plenty of space to place them. in regars to the wires.. i just tap them to the oem plugs..

Have fun modding.. and if you need help just ask.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway you could find time to take some new ones. I just lifted the hood to see how to remove the headlights. Doesn't seem that bad, I'll look more indepth when my chrome grille arrives. I see there are some holes cut out in the sheet metal and maybe i can ziptie the ballasts there.

My biggest concern is where to mount the ballasts for the tail lights. Is there anyway you could get a pic of where you mounted that? That would be very helpful.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed 7440 wedge LEDs from superbrightleds a few month ago. They are by far no where as bright as I need them to be, but they were cheap and look cool. I rely on my backup sensors, because I don't have a headunit for my camera yet.

I am going to buy new led tails at some point, but until then I am sticking with what I got.
744x-A3HP.jpg

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Scotto. I've pretty much decided to skip LEDs in there due to the lack of brightness. Maybe some day I'll do the HID mod, but money's tight now...so it's the stock incandescents for me. :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta get to work, im falling behind. But the 07 is so annoying to work on having to remove all that crap to even change a bulb.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta get to work, im falling behind. But the 07 is so annoying to work on having to remove all that crap to even change a bulb.

Annoying and too much crap is exactly the correct description. I woke up this morning (note it was 26 degrees) and spent two hours out there just trying to get the driver's side headlight out. I got tired of cursing and the cold and don't get me started about trying to remove the grille :mad2:

I have decided that I will take it to the stealership and see if they can swap out my grille and while they are at it install the HID's or atleast get the headlight out and I WILL install them.

Wish me luck.:ack:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlight removal is a breeze for me now, after doing it up to 6 times it is very easy now. The first time it too me like 4 hours fo both, now it takes 40 minutes TOPS for both. The grille I hae never tried butplan on trying soon!

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally made headway after over an hour with the headlight. I was at the point where you have to push down the front fascia to clear the tabs on the bottom which is suppose to then make the headlight slide out. Couldnt get it. I had one tab up and the other one stuck in, think I cleared both one time but the headlight was caught on the upper corner of the fender.

I just had enough. Wish you were in VA to help. I'm going to see if the bodyshop guy who I talk to wants to cut a deal and he do the work outside the dealership for some cash. If not, I think they are going to remove the whole bumper to replace the grille. At that time imma try to install the HID's.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I finally completed my tail light swap/conversion project.:D

BIG thanks goes to LaredoTexas, I asked him so many questions and he was cool about all of it.

Only probs. I ran into were that the pop in clips that are on the G3's are a different size then the ones off the factory lights. The aftermarket ones (silver in picture) were actually fatter then the factory (black) which left me with a nice gap on the side of the tail light. The Fix: take a 10mm socket and remove the factory ones and swap them out. Now note that the aftermarket ones are too fat to put in the factory lamps so I put them in a bag to hold on to them.

Also another issue I had is that the resignator (what ever the module used to prevent the lights from blinking fast) is that it didn't have enought wire to let me stick in the piliar like the instructions show. The fix: I mounted the resignator under the bumper where the headlamp connector is and where the HID ballasts is.

Overall it was an easy mod. Just hope the HID's don't blow anytime soon b/c removing silicone would probably be a pain. I didn't take step by step photos but I took some photos. This is the third straight cold weekend I was doing mods to the truck so I learned to get out, do the mod and get back in where its warm.

Sorry for the quality of the pics also. It is cloudy, cold and taken with a Treo.

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 28
  • f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 14
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 25
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 39
  • f8.jpg
    f8.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 25

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good!
What type of tails and HID colors do you have?

Cr8ter

Reaction score
Hey Laredo.......Have you had any issues with heat with the HIDs since it's in such a small space? Worried about melting the housing on the tail lights.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Laredo.......Have you had any issues with heat with the HIDs since it's in such a small space? Worried about melting the housing on the tail lights.

not at all.. take into consideration that you dont run your backup lamps for more than a few seconds.. so far to issues what so ever..

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys my HID's in the tail blew. :ack: I came out of work and hit the unlock and noticed that the driver tail reverse light flickered on and off. Noticed that my tails still work so I drove it home. Of course its dark and I am backing up and POW no reverse light.

Don't get me wrong I loooved having the HID's in tails. Just seeing the looks on people's faces on how bright it was. :lol: But I don't know if I can go every 9 days and swapped them out, especially considering that I am using silicone to keep them in there.

Now I gotta go without tails until Friday :yar:. I have a back up pair to put in and plan on sending these back and getting my replacements (1 year warranty).

So what do you guys think. Just say fcuk it and put the original bulbs back in or give the HID's another try?

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys my HID's in the tail blew. :ack: I came out of work and hit the unlock and noticed that the driver tail reverse light flickered on and off. Noticed that my tails still work so I drove it home. Of course its dark and I am backing up and POW no reverse light.

Don't get me wrong I loooved having the HID's in tails. Just seeing the looks on people's faces on how bright it was. :lol: But I don't know if I can go every 9 days and swapped them out, especially considering that I am using silicone to keep them in there.

Now I gotta go without tails until Friday :yar:. I have a back up pair to put in and plan on sending these back and getting my replacements (1 year warranty).

So what do you guys think. Just say fcuk it and put the original bulbs back in or give the HID's another try?

I dont think your bulbs are bad.. did you change your fuse as i told you? look at that.. HID bulbs should not go bad that fast.. specialy both at the same time..

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think your bulbs are bad.. did you change your fuse as i told you? look at that.. HID bulbs should not go bad that fast.. specialy both at the same time..

I might have to check the fuse. Glad I bought a big pack. But if the fuse was blown wouldn't the whole tail light not work?

Cr8ter

Reaction score

Hey Laredo......did you get my PM about the led tails?